- UFC 97 drew an official attendance of 21,451 for a live gate of $4.9 million. If confirmed, the crowd would be the largest in North American MMA history.
- Sam Stout’s unanimous decision victory over Matt Wiman was “Fight of the Night”, Krzysztof Soszynski’s first-round kimura submission of Brian Stann was “Submission of the Night”, and Mauricio “Shogun” Rua’s first-round TKO of Chuck Liddell earned “Knockout of the Night”. Stout, Wiman, Soszynski, and Rua each earned $70,000 for their UFC 97 performances.
- If Georges St-Pierre defeats Thiago Alves in July he could fight Anderson Silva in Toronto.
- Chuck Liddell is done fighting, according to UFC president Dana White, who effectively announced the former UFC light heavyweight champion’s retirement and confirmed he’ll instead assume a new role with the company.
- White said he wasn’t sure if David Loiseau will get another opportunity in the UFC, but that he is a really nice guy and he’ll consult Joe Silva before making a decision on Loiseau’s future with the promotion.
- White also said that Cheick Kongo is a serious contender for the heavyweight belt and is in the mix for a future title shot.
- Sam Stout said he arrived at the arena at 5pm and basically did a six hour warmup after his fight was pushed back from the first fight of the event to the next-to-last bout.