PRESS RELEASE — Bellator Fighting Championships announced today a lineup of highly anticipated fights taking place at Hara Arena in Dayton, Ohio on May 1, 2009. This marks Bellator’s fifth event of the 12-week tournament series airing on ESPN Deportes on Saturdays. Dayton will host the first round of Bellator’s Semi-Final match-ups, with a $50,000 prize for each winner, which will send two Lightweights to the Bellator world championship final bout in June.
“Dayton fans will get a chance to witness some of the best Lightweight fighters from across the globe in these world championship bouts,” remarked Bjorn Rebney, Bellator Fighting Championships CEO. “At Bellator, each tournament fighter has their own destiny in their hands and at the Hara Arena two fighters will get the chance to advance to the Bellator Fighting Championships finals.”
Returning from his victory at Bellator I, Eddie Alvarez, top ranked Lightweight in the world, faces up-and-comer Eric Reynolds in the world championship semi-finals. A veteran of over 30 fights, Toby Imada will look for his eighth straight win as he takes on Jorge “Gamebred” Masvidal. Jorge knocked out Nick Agallar at Bellator I in less than two minutes in the first round. The winner of each bout will advance to the Lightweight finals and a step closer to the $100,000 grand prize. This fight card will also feature Sherman Pendergarst, Joey Beltran and Dave Herman in feature fights from their divisions.
Tickets are on sale now at Hara Arena box office and through Ticketmaster for $19, $49 and $99. The match-ups on the event’s fight card are detailed below:
- 155 lbs. – Toby Imada (21-11) vs. Jorge Masvidal (17-3)
- 155 lbs. – Eric Reynolds (11-1) vs. Eddie Alvarez (16-2)
- 155 lbs. – Frank Carabello (3-0) vs. Waylon Lowe (3-2)
- 170 lbs. – Justin Edwards (1-0) vs. John Troyer (8-2)
- 117 lbs. – Tammy Schneider (3-6) vs. Jessica Pene (5-0)
- 145 lbs. – Pete Dominguez (9-3) vs. Matt Jaggers (11-4)
- Heavyweight – Dan Evensen (10-4) vs. Raoul Romero (3-1)
- Heavyweight – Sherman Pendergarst (11-12) vs. Joey Beltran (5-3)
- Heavyweight – Josh Barnes (5-1) vs. Dave Herman (14-1)