James Irvin has been forced out of his scheduled return at UFC 98 against Drew McFedries due to a knee injury and France’s Xavier Foupa-Pokam has been tapped to fill the vacant spot.
According to MMAjunkie, the bout hinges on Foupa-Pokam’s ability to resolve immigration issues, which could force the UFC to go in a different direction if not resolved quickly.
Barring a “Fight of the Night” performance, the loser of the May 23rd pay-per-view event in Las Vegas is likely to be cut by the promotion. McFedries has dropped two-straight fights to Mike Massenzio and Thales Leites and has won just three times in seven UFC bouts while Foupa-Pokam suffered a unanimous decision loss to Denis Kang in his UFC debut after winning seven-straight fights.
The UFC 98 fight card now features:
MAIN CARD (televised)
- Rashad Evans vs. Lyoto Machida
- Matt Hughes vs. Matt Serra
- Dan Miller vs. Yushin Okami
- Frank Edgar vs. Sean Sherk
- Brock Larson vs. Chris Wilson
PRELIMINARY CARD (un-televised)
- Xavier Foupa-Pokam vs. Drew McFedries
- Kyle Bradley vs. Phillipe Nover
- Pat Barry vs. Tim Hague
- Houston Alexander vs. Andre Gusmao
- Brandon Wolff vs. Yoshiyuki Yoshida
- David Kaplan vs. George Roop