Mike Brown again got the best of Urijah Faber on Sunday at WEC 41, topping the former 145-pound title holder by unanimous decision to retain his title in the anticipated rematch which headlined the Versus-televised event at the ARCO Arena in Sacramento, California.
Brown stalked Faber throughout the bout, using superior striking to pick Faber apart en route to a unanimous decision victory with official scores of 49-46, 49-46, and 48-47 (MMAFrenzy.com scored the bout 48-47 Brown). Faber, unable to muster much offense from the middle of the first round onward after suffering a broken hand, attempted several submissions and connected with elbows but was unable to finish Brown off over the five, 5-minute rounds.
Brown, who has now defended his title twice since winning it from Faber last November, improves to 22-4 with the victory, his 11th-straight, while Faber falls to 22-3.
In the evening’s co-main event, Jose Aldo made extremely quick work of Cub Swanson, knocking out his opponent with a flying knee and followup punches a mere 8-seconds into the opening round. The win likely secures Aldo the next crack at Brown and his featherweight title later this year, though should Brown win the matchup a rubber match with Faber likely looms once his hand is healed.
In other notable action, Donald Cerrone picked up a first-round submission win over James Crause then called out lightweight title-holder Jamie Varner for a rematch, Josh Grispi retired Jens Pulver with a 33-second submission victory, and Manny Gamburyan got his first featherweight win with a unanimous decision over John Franchi.
The rest of the undercard was a submission clinic with four of the five fights ending by submission as Rafael Rebello, Anthony Pettis, Frank Gomez, and Seth Dikun picked up submission victories while Chuck Liddell-cornered Antonio Banuelos defeated Scott Jorgensen by split decision.
The official WEC 41 results were:
- Mike Brown (c) def. Urijah Faber via unanimous decision (49-46, 49-46, 48-47)
WEC Featherweight Championship
- Jose Aldo def. Cub Swanson via KO (flying knee) — Round 1, 0:08
- Donald Cerrone def. James Krause via submission (rear naked choke) — Round 1, 4:38
- Josh Grispi def. Jens Pulver via submission (guillotine choke) — Round 1, 0:33
- Manny Gamburyan def. John Franchi via unanimous decision (30-27, 30-27, 30-27)
- Rafael Rebello def. Kyle Dietz via submission (rear-naked choke), Round 1, 2:55.
- Anthony Pettis def. Mike Campbell via submission (triangle choke) – Round 1, 1:49
- Antonio Banuelos def. Scott Jorgensen via split decision (29-28, 28-29, 29-28)
- Frank Gomez def. Noah Thomas via submission (arm triangle choke) — Round 2, 3:12
- Seth Dikun def. Rolando Perez via submission (triangle choke) — Round 1, 2:30
[Pictured: Mike Brown]