The UFC’s traditional year-end event, UFC 108, is now expected to take place on January 2 in Las Vegas, according to the UFC’s Marc Ratner, who confirmed the likely date on Wednesday with MMAjunkie.
A venue has not yet been set for the pay-per-view event and no bouts are even rumored for the card, which is typically the promotion’s most-stacked of the year.
Quinton Jackson vs. Wanderlei Silva, Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira vs. Frank Mir, and Forrest Griffin vs. Rashad Evans were all featured at UFC 92 last December, while Chuck Liddell vs. Wanderlei Silva and Georges St-Pierre vs. Matt Hughes co-headlined UFC 79 in late-2007, and Chuck Liddell vs. Tito Ortiz drew record numbers as the main event of UFC 66 in December 2006.
Though the event typically takes place on the last Saturday of the year, that date this year would have been December 26th, requiring weigh-ins to take place on Christmas day. Instead, the UFC has pushed the event back to the first Saturday of 2010 and added UFC 107, headlined by Quinton “Rampage” Jackson vs. Rashad Evans, in mid-December.
The UFC’s upcoming schedule includes (click on an event for the latest rumored bouts):
- UFC 100: Lesnar vs. Mir 2 – July 11, 2009 (Las Vegas, NV)
- UFC 101: Declaration – August 8, 2009 (Philadelphia, PA)
- UFC 102: Couture vs. Nogueira – August 29, 2009 (Portland, OR)
- UFC Fight Night 19 – September 16, 2009 (Oklahoma City, OK)
- UFC 103 – September 26, 2009 (Dallas, TX)
- UFC 104: Machida vs. Rua – October 24, 2009 (Los Angeles, CA)
- UFC 105 – November 14, 2009 (Manchester, England)
- UFC 106 – November 21, 2009 (Las Vegas, NV)
- The Ultimate Fighter 10 Finale – December 5, 2009 (Las Vegas, NV)
- UFC 107: Jackson vs. Evans – December 12 or 19, 2009 (Memphis, TN)
- UFC 108 – January 2, 2009 (Las Vegas, NV)
Throw in a mix of WEC, Strikeforce, Affliction, DREAM, and Sengoku events and we’ve got a packed schedule for the remainder of the year and into early-2010.