Heavyweight title-holder Brock Lesnar became the UFC’s undisputed heavyweight champion on Saturday in the main event of UFC 100 by avenging the only loss of his MMA career with a second-round knockout of interim champ Frank Mir to cap off the historic pay-per-view event, which took place at the Mandalay Bay Events Center in Las Vegas.
Despite his dominant performance, Lesnar earned little respect from fans after confronting a still-dazed Mir in the cage before flipping off the crowd and belittling top UFC sponsor Bud Light in a pro wrestling-esque post-fight speech.
UFC welterweight champion Georges St-Pierre retained the 170-pound title by dominating top-contender Thiago Alves en-route to a clear unanimous decision victory. St-Pierre, who neutralized Alves’ striking throughout the contest and used a series of takedowns to earn the win, will meet the winner of Mike Swick vs. Martin Kampmann in his next title defense.
Former PRIDE champion Dan Henderson likely earned another crack at the middleweight title currently held by Anderson Silva with a highlight reel second-round knockout of Michael Bisping. After picking Bisping apart during the first round, Henderson stalked the UK fighter in the second before connecting with a brutal right that collapsed Bisping to the canvas then followed it up with another huge right on the ground that left Bisping unconscious for nearly a minute before he staggered back to reality.
Jon Fitch and Yoshihiro Akiyama were also victorious on the main card, earning decision victories, while Mark Coleman and Jon Jones were the big winners on the evening’s preliminary card.
Stay tuned to MMAFrenzy.com all-day Sunday for comprehensive post-UFC 100 coverage.
The official results for UFC 100 were:
- Brock Lesnar (c) def. Frank Mir (c) via KO (punches) — Round 2, 1:48
UFC Heavyweight Championship Unification
- Georges St-Pierre (c) def. Thiago Alves via unanimous decision (50-45, 50-44, 50-45)
UFC Welterweight Championship
- Dan Henderson def. Michael Bisping via KO (punch) — Round 2, 3:20
- Yoshihiro Akiyama def. Alan Belcher via split decision (30-27, 28-29, 29-28)
- Jon Fitch def. Paulo Thiago via unanimous decision (30-27, 29-28, 29-28)
- Mark Coleman def. Stephan Bonnar via unanimous decision (29-28, 29-28, 29-28)
- Dan Miller def. Mac Danzig via unanimous decision (30-27, 30-27, 30-27)
- Jon Jones def. Jake O’Brien via submission (guillotine choke) — Round 2, 2:43
- Dong Hyun Kim def. T.J. Grant via unanimous decision (30-26, 30-26, 30-26)
- Tom Lawlor def. C.B. Dollaway via submission (guillotine choke) — Round 1, 0:55
- Shannon Gugerty def. Matt Grice via submission (guillotine choke) — Round 1, 2:36
[Pictured: Brock Lesnar]