A Strikeforce light heavyweight championship bout between title-holder Renato “Babalu” Sobral and Gegard Mousasi remains on the August 15 “Strikeforce: Carano vs. Cyborg” card despite a reported cease and desist letter sent to the promotion by the UFC and rumors that Mousasi was misled by his M-1 Global management about the UFC’s contract offer to the former DREAM champ.
Mousasi recently spoke with Fighters Only and says he plans on honoring his Strikeforce deal, but declined to comment on the allegations surrounding M-1:
Gegard Mousasi has said he will honour his agreement with Strikeforce following recent reports that his management had misled him about the amount of money the UFC had offered him for his services.
“I am fighting in Strikeforce now and Scott has always been honest to me,” Mousasi told Fighters Only today. “I have a contract with Strikeforce and I am going to honor that.”
The DREAM double-champion then said that he did not wish to comment on allegations that his management had misled him about the value of the UFC offer.
Details on the cease and desist have not yet surfaced, though its believed to be a result of the UFC’s recent “collaboration” with Affliction that saw it acquire many of the former promotion’s contracted fighters. Strikeforce CEO Scott Coker made mention of the situation during a radio appearance earlier this week, saying that Mousasi is under contract with Strikeforce and will fight Sobral at the August 15 event as announced.
Pictured: Gegard Mousasi