Tim Kennedy submitted previously unbeaten prospect Zak Cummings in the second-round of their main event middleweight matchup at Friday’s Strikeforce Challengers event at the SpiritBank Event Center in Bixby, Oklahoma.
Kennedy, an Army veteran who returned to MMA earlier this year to defeat Nick Thompson in his Strikeforce debut, appears ready for a step up in competition following his latest win, dominating Cummings with ground and pound in the opening frame before finishing him off with a north-south choke in the second.
With the win, Kennedy improves to 11-2, losing only to notables Jason Miller and Scott Smith while winning last three-straight, while Cummings falls to 10-1 after suffering his first career defeat.
In other notable action, Tyron Woodley improved his undefeated record to 4-0 with an impressive showing in his second-round submission victory over Zach Light, while two-time Olympic wrestler Daniel Cormier won his MMA debut with a second-round TKO of Gary Frazier.
The complete results for Friday’s Strikeforce Challengers event are below, followed by a photo gallery from the card courtesy of Strikeforce/Esther Lin:
- Tim Kennedy def. Zak Cummings via submission (north-south choke) — Round 2, 2:43
- Ray Sefo def. Kevin Jordan via TKO (injury) — Round 2, 0:24
- Tyron Woodley def. Zach Light via submission (armbar) — Round 2, 3:38
- Thomas Longacre def. Travis Calanoc via unanimous decision (30-27, 30-27, 30-27)
- Daniel Cormier def. Gary Frazier via TKO (strikes) — Round 2, 3:39
- Jeri Sitzes def. Lacey Schuckman via TKO (strikes) — Round 3, 2:18
- Paul Bradley def. Levi Avera via unanimous decision (30-27, 30-27, 30-27)
- Trey Houston def. Brandon Gaines via submission (arm-triangle choke) — Round 2, 1:28
- Kenny Giddens def. Jon Carson via submission (D’arce choke) — Round 2, 4:15
- Josh Pulsifer def. Nick Gibbons via submission (D’arce choke) — Round 1, 1:05
- Dillon Smith def. Lemont Davis via submission (rear naked choke) — Round 1, 1:15