If you thought things couldn’t get any nastier between Wanderlei Silva and the UFC, well, you might want to think again.
As you likely know, Silva has repeatedly bashed the UFC over the last year, but more recently, he took things up a notch, by accusing the promotion of fixing fights. Silva made the massive accusation while speaking out about the firing of cutman, Jacob “Stitch” Duran. The former PRIDE champ even claimed to have evidence…
Well, on Wednesday, it was reported that the UFC has launched a lawsuit against Silva for “intentional misconduct”. More recently, the promotion has released the following statement (via MMA Fighting.com):
“Zuffa, LLC, dba the Ultimate Fighting Championship, filed suit against Wanderlei Silva in Clark County District Court in Las Vegas last evening based on the false and defamatory statements published by Mr. Silva last week. The company will have no further comment on the matter at this time, and refers all inquiries to its counsel at the law firm Campbell & Williams.”
When you consider how serious of an allegation fight fixing is for a promotion, and when said promotion is the largest in the MMA world and a billion dollar business, guess no one should be surprised by this.
Silva said he was retiring last year due to his issues with the UFC. Shortly thereafter, the legend was suspended by the Nevada State Athletic Commission, for skipping out on a random drug test. Initially, the NSAC banned Silva for life, but earlier this year a judge overturned that ruling.
The 39 year-old’s last bout took place in March, 2013, when he KO’d Brian Stann.