Roy Nelson won The Ultimate Fighter 10 heavyweight tournament on Saturday by knocking out fellow finalist Brendan Schaub in the opening round at The Ultimate Fighter 10 Finale, which took place at The Pearl at The Palms in Las Vegas and aired live on Spike TV.
Nelson, a former IFL champion and favorite to win the heavyweight tournament, rebounded from back-to-back losses with the win, which improved his record to 14-4, while Schaub, a training partner of heavyweight contender Shane Carwin, falls to 4-1 after suffering his first career loss.
In the event’s co-headliner, Jon Jones bloodied Matt Hamill with vicious ground and pound that nearly ended the bout, but finished the fight with illegal downward elbows that caused him to be disqualified, awarding an injured and battered Hamill the victory.
Kimbo Slice made his anticipated UFC debut in lackluster fashion on Saturday, scoring a unanimous decision over a returning Houston Alexander in a bizarre bout that featured Slice’s improved ground game, including an impressive suplex in the opening frame, rather than an expected knockout.
Also on the main card, Frankie Edgar submitted newcomer Matt Veach with a rear naked choke in the second round, while Matt Mitrione knocked out fellow former NFL player Marcus Jones 10-seconds into round two.
James McSweeney, Jon Madsen, Brian Stann, John Howard, and Mark Bocek were all victorious on The Ultimate Fighter 10 Finale preliminary card.
The event’s official results were:
- Roy Nelson def. Brendan Schaub via KO (punch) – Round 1
The Ultimate Fighter 10 finale
- Matt Hamill def. Jon Jones via disqualification (illegal elbows) – Round 1
- Kimbo Slice def. Houston Alexander via unanimous decision (29-28, 29-28, 30-27)
- Frankie Edgar def. Matt Veach via submission (rear naked choke) – Round 2, 2:22
- Matt Mitrione def. Marcus Jones via KO (punches) – Round 2, 0:10
- James McSweeney def. Darrill Schoonover via TKO (strikes) – Round 3, 3:20
- Jon Madsen def. Justin Wren via split decision (30-27, 28-29, 29-28)
- Brian Stann def. Rodney Wallace via unanimous decision (30-27, 29-28, 29-28)
- John Howard def. Dennis Hallman via KO (punches) – Round 3, 4:55
- Mark Bocek def. Joe Brammer via submission (rear naked choke) – Round 1, 3:36
Pictured: Roy Nelson