It wasn’t pretty, but lightweight contender Donald Cerrone managed to remain in title contention on Saturday, putting two early point deductions for lows blows behind him by choking out Ed Ratcliff midway through the third and final round of the WEC 45 main event at The Pearl at The Palms in Las Vegas.
Lightweight Anthony Nkojuani and bantamweight Joseph Benavidez remained in the hunt in their respective divisions by scoring first-round knockouts on the Versus-televised WEC 45 main card, with Njokuani taking out newcomer Chris Horodeck while Benavidez stopped Rani Yahya.
In other notable action, Scott Jorgensen topped Takeya Mizugaki by unanimous decision and Bart Palaszewski returned to edge Antony Pettis by split decision.
The complete WEC 45 results were:
- Donald Cerrone def. Ed Ratcliff via submission (rear naked choke) – Round 3, 3:47
- Anthony Njokuani def. Chris Horodecki via TKO (strikes) – Round 1, 3:33
- Joseph Benavidez def. Rani Yahya via TKO (strikes) – Round 1, 1:35
- Scott Jorgensen def. Takeya Mizugaki via unanimous decision (29-28, 29-28, 29-28)
- Bart Palaszewski def. Anthony Pettis via split decision (30-27, 27-30, 29-28)
- Zach Micklewright def. Muhsin Corbbrey (30-27, 30-27, 30-27)
- Chad George def. John Hosman via unanimous decision (30-27, 30-27, 30-27)
- Brandon Visher def. Courtney Buck via TKO (strikes) – Round 1, 4:45
- Brad Pickett def. Kyle Dietz via submission (Peruvian necktie) – Round 2, 4:36
- Erik Koch def. Jameel Massouh via unanimous decision (30-27, 30-27, 30-27)
Pictured: Donald Cerrone