- UFC welterweight Jonathan Goulet, sidelined since June from a dislocaed shoulder, is expected to return to action on May 1 when the UFC returns to his native Quebec, Canada for UFC 113 at the Bell Centre in Montreal. [MMA Weekly]
- Popular referee “Big” John McCarthy has been assigned by the California State Athletic Commission to be a judge for WEC 46 on January 10 in Sacramento. [Wrestling Observer]
- Bellator has signed top British welterweight Jim Wallhead (18-5) to compete in the promotion’s upcoming 170-pound tournament that also features Dan Hornbuckle, Jacob McClintock, and Ben Askren.
- The U.S. House Judiciary Committee recently held a hearing on live sports piracy, with UFC co-owner Lorenzo Fertitta testifying that more than 140,000 people viewed UFC 106 illegally.
- Harold Howard, an early UFC competitor who fought at UFC 3 and UFC 7, was charged with attempted murder this week after allegedly assaulting two people then driving his truck through a casino in Niagra Falls.
- Veteran welterweight Phil Baroni, rumored for a March bout against Marcus Davis at UFC 111 in New Jersey, is instead planning time of to improve his training following his November loss to Amir Sadollah. [MMA Weekly]
- UFC 107 headliner Diego Sanchez (pictured), who was battered by BJ Penn at the December 12 event before suffering a fifth-round TKO due to a gash on his forehead, says he is “90% healed”. [Twitter]
- The Ultimate Fighter 3 winner Kendall Grove has signed a new multi-fight deal with the UFC following his November first-round submission of Jake Rosholt and plans to return in early-2010. [Sherdog]
- UFC 107, headlined by lightweight champ BJ Penn vs. Diego Sanchez and also featuring Frank Mir vs. Cheick Kongo and Kenny Florian vs. Clay Guida, reportedly did 620,000 buys on pay-per-view on December 12. [Wrestling Observer]
- Strikeforce: Evolution, which aired live on Showtime on December 19 and featured Cung Le vs. Scott Smith and Josh Thomson vs. Gilbert Melendez, drew 341,000 viewers, while 330,000 tuned in for WEC 45, which aired directly opposite “Evolution” on Versus and was headlined by lightweight contenders Donald Cerrone and Ed Ratcliff.
- The Nevada State Athletic Commission has denied Jon Jones’ appeal of his controversial loss to Matt Hamill at The Ultimate Fighter 10 Finale on December 5. Jones dominated the light heavyweight matchup, including dislocating Hamill’s shoulder on an early takedown, and appeared close to finishing the fight with ground and pound when he landed several illegal elbows that cost him the fight. [Heavy]
- Bantamweights George Roop and Eddie Wineland will square off at January’s WEC 46 after their original opponents, Jesse Moreng and Rafael Rebello respectively, were recently forced to withdraw from the card. [MMAjunkie]
UFC Jon Jones Reportedly Stayed at Rehab Facility For One Night, UFC Champ to Attend AFC Championship