Former lightweight champion Jamie Varner, who lost the title to Ben Henderson on Sunday after suffering a third-round submission in the WEC 46 main event, injured his foot and knee in the loss and was among six fighters who received 180 day medical suspensions from the California State Athletic Commission on Monday.
Also suspended for 180 days were Kamal Shalorus, Dave Jansen, Charlie Valencia, Will Campuzano, and Coty Wheeler.
The full list of WEC 46 medical suspensions included:
- Jamie Varner: Suspended for 180 days or until cleared by doctor for right knee and right foot
- Kamal Shalorus: Suspended 180 days or until cleared by doctor for left thumb fracture
- Dave Jansen: Suspended 180 days or until cleared by doctor for right thumb fracture. Suspended 60 days or until cleared by doctor for face and right ear lacerations
- Mackens Semerzier: Suspended 60 days for right eyelid laceration
- Charlie Valencia: Suspended 180 days or until cleared by doctor for possible left elbow fracture
- Akitoshi Tamura: Suspended 60 days or until cleared by doctor for left eyelid laceration
- George Roop: Suspended 60 days unless cleared by doctor for facial laceration
- Will Campuzano: Suspended 180 days or until cleared by doctor for left shoulder strain
- Coty Wheeler: Suspended 180 days for possible orbital fracture and nose fracture. Must be cleared by CT scan. Suspended 60 days for nose laceration
Pictured: Jamie Varner