Nick Diaz was crowned the Strikeforce welterweight champion on Saturday in the main event of “Strikeforce: Miami” at the BankAtlantic Center in Sunrise, Florida, overwhelming Marius Zaromskis with a flurry of accurate punches that eventually downed the DREAM title-holder late in the opening-round.
In the evening’s co-headliner, Cristiane “Cyborg” Santos retained the 145-pound women’s championship with a third-round TKO of Marloes Coenen. Coenen was unable to take advantage of her submission skills and was forced to challenge “Cyborg” on the feet, losing the standup exchanges before Santos finished the fight with ground and pound in the third.
In his anticipated MMA debut, 47-year-old former Heisman Trophy winner Herschel Walker dominated an outmatched Greg Nagy, demonstrating solid striking, ground control, and submission defense before the referee stopped the bout in the third after a string of punches on the ground.
Also on the main card, Melvin Manhoef dominated Robbie Lawler for the majority of the opening round before Lawler connected with an overhand right that immediately ended the fight, while Bobby Lashley remained undefeated in his Strikeforce debut, scoring a swift first-round TKO of Wes Sims to kick off the Showtime broadcast.
On the preliminary card, Jay Hieron remained in line for a potential shot at the welterweight title now held by Nick Diaz with a lackluster unanimous decision over Joe Riggs.
The complete results for “Strikeforce: Miami” were:
- Nick Diaz def. Marius Zaromskis via TKO (strikes) – Round 1, 4:38
Strikeforce Welterweight Championship (vacant)
- Cristiane “Cyborg” Santos (c) def. Marloes Coenen via TKO (strikes) – Round 3, 3:40
Strikeforce 145-pound Women’s Championship
- Herschel Walker def. Greg Nagy via TKO (strikes) – Round 3, 2:17
- Robbie Lawler def. Melvin Manhoef via KO (punch) – Round 1, 3:33
- Bobby Lashley def. Wes Sims via TKO (strikes) – Round 1, 2:06
- Jay Hieron def. Joe Riggs via unanimous decision (29-28, 30-27, 30-27)
- Michael Byrnes def. David Zitnik via majority decision (29-29, 30-27, 30-27)
- Joe Ray def. John Clarke via TKO (strikes) – Round 1, 3:14
- David Gomez def. Craig Oxley via unanimous decision (30-27, 30-27, 30-27)
- Pablo Alfonso def. Marcos da Matta via submission (armbar) – Round 1, 1:47
- Hayder Hassan def. Ryan Keenan via KO (strikes) – Round 2, 2:42
- John Kelly def. Sabah Homasi via submission (rear naked choke) – Round 2, 2:48
Pictured: Nick Diaz