As almost every sports fan on the planet now knows, McGregor’s undefeated, UFC run came to an end last weekend, as he was tapped out by Nate Diaz. That bout came together after McGregor’s original opponent, lightweight champ Rafael dos Anjos, went down with a broken foot. The fight also took place after Edgar had been campaigning hard for a crack at the featherweight champ.
Well, since the loss, McGregor has said he plans to return to 145 and defend the title. Recently Edgar’s coach, Mark Henry, talked to the “Sunday Morning Cornerman” show. Clearly he wasn’t too impressed with what McGregor showed at UFC 196 (quote via Combat Press):
“He didn’t go up two weight classes,” Henry argued. “He fought a 155-pound fighter, and Frankie has dominated that weight class. Conor couldn’t even get past the first 155-pound fighter he faced…”
“I think from that fight we know why Conor and the UFC don’t want him to fight Frankie,” Henry said. “This guy gasses out and Frankie would just maul this kid. Frankie isn’t afraid to throw strikes and has good movement. There’s a lot of things Conor does to fighters that he wouldn’t be able to do to Frankie.”
How about that? Hopefully this is a fight that happens. Of course, Jose Aldo is also in the mix, and McGregor has talked about giving the former champ a rematch. The question is, however, whether the UFC wants that bout. Not long ago, it seemed like UFC wasn’t too interested in McGregor – Aldo II quite yet. Could Edgar be next?