After Chris Weidman had a title shot pulled from him not long ago, it doesn’t sound like he’s thrilled with the UFC’s plans to book Michael Bisping – Dan Henderson II.
Ordinarily, the UFC doesn’t tap a fighter who’s outside the top 10 for a title shot (ordinarily…), but plenty of fans have been calling for the promotion to hand “Hendo” a crack at the belt. Henderson bombed Bisping out back in 2009, and at 45, the legend’s career is nearing the end of the road.
Well, the UFC understands that a rematch would be a big time fight, and as a result, Dana White recently said the scrap’s in the works. Weidman, however, doesn’t seem to be very happy about that fact.
End of the day I feel I'm best in world and will get my belt back by beating whoever it takes but this is a joke of a system.
— Chris Weidman (@ChrisWeidmanUFC) July 10, 2016
No one should be surprised to see top, middleweight contenders voicing their displeasure about this. Henderson is one of the all-time greats, no question, but he’s gone 2-3 in his last 5 bouts and 4-6 in his last 10. So for top five guys like Weidman, seeing the #13th ranked fighter leapfrog over them, doesn’t sit too well. Even if the fan in them, likely wants to see that bout happen…
Weidman was scheduled to rematch Luke Rockhold at UFC 199 last month, but had to pull out due to a neck injury. The accomplished wrestler has said he’s hoping to fight at the UFC’s first event in New York City on November 12th.