After being shot last July and nearly losing his life, Johnson successfully completed his MMA comeback in the main event of the Showtime-televised card, scoring a second-round TKO of Lolohea Mahe, while Humphrey submitted Georges Bush III in the opening round of the night’s co-headliner.
“I’m glad to be back,” said Johnson. “The guy hits hard. That’s probably the toughest fight I’ve ever had. I don’t t think I’ve been hit that hard yet. It gives me a lot of confidence about where I am right now as a fighter. It’s just good to be back.”
In other notable action, Galvao topped Luke Stewart in a controversial split decision, Tate subbed Zoila Frausto with a second-round armbar, Wilson took a unanimous decision over Shamar Bailey, and Daniel Cormier knocked out John Devine in the opening round.
The Strikeforce Challengers 7 results were:
- Lavar Johnson def. Lolohea Mahe via TKO (punches) – Round 2, 3:28
- Abongo Humphrey def. George Bush III via submission (guillotine choke) – Round 1, 1:44
- Andre Galvao def. Luke Stewart via split decision (27-30, 30-27, 29-28)
- Miesha Tate def. Zoila Frausto via submission (armbar) – Round 2, 4:09
- Justin Wilcox def Shamar Bailey via unanimous decision (30-26, 30-27, 30-27)
- Daniel Cormier def. John Devine via KO (punches) – Round 1, 1:09
Pictured: Lavar Johnson