Welterweight champ Georges St-Pierre dominated challenger Dan Hardy on Saturday in the main event of UFC 111, earning a unanimous decision fueled by takedowns, ground control, and several near-submissions to cap off the pay-per-view event at the sold out Prudential Center in Newark, New Jersey and retain the 170-pound title he’s now held for more than two years.
St-Pierre faced little offense in the five-round headliner and was never in any trouble, as he stayed away from Hardy’s perceived advantage on the feet and instead took him down at will, where he transitioned with ease and tried for submission after submission while punishing Hardy with punches and knees to the body.
St-Pierre improves to 20-2 with his seventh consecutive victory, while Hardy drops to 23-7, snapping his seven-fight win streak with his first UFC loss.
In the UFC 111 co-headliner, Shane Carwin scored a first-round knockout of Frank Mir to claim the interim heavyweight title and earn the next shot at heavyweight champ Brock Lesnar.
After a tentative start, Carwin turned up the heat in the clinch midway through opening round, eventually hurting Mir with an uppercut before sealing the knockout victory with an assault of unanswered punches on the ground.
Despite lasting just 3:48, the win marked the longest bout for Carwin, who improves to 12-0 with four-straight knockouts to start his UFC career, while Mir’s hopes for a rubber match with Lesnar will have to wait, as he falls to 13-5 in the loss.
In other action on the UFC 111 main card, Kurt Pellegrino scored a second-round submission of Fabricio Camoes, welterweight contender Jon Fitch remained in contention with a unanimous decision over Ben Saunders, and Jim Miller topped Mark Bocek in a close unanimous decision.
Nate Diaz and Ricardo Almeida were victorious on the Spike-televised UFC 111 prelims, while Rousimar Palhares, Jared Hamman, and Matt Riddle earned wins on the non-televised undercard.
The complete results for UFC 111 were:
MAIN CARD (PPV)
- Georges St-Pierre (c) def. Dan Hardy via unanimous decision (50-43, 50-44, 50-45)
UFC Welterweight Championship
- Shane Carwin def. Frank Mir via KO (punches) – Round 1, 3:48
Interim UFC Heavyweight Championship
- Kurt Pellegrino def. Fabricio Camoes via submission (rear naked choke) – Round 2, 4:20
- Jon Fitch def. Ben Saunders via unanimous decision (30-27, 30-27, 30-27)
- Jim Miller def. Mark Bocek via unanimous decision (29-28, 29-28, 29-28)
PRELIMINARY CARD (Spike TV)
- Nate Diaz def. Rory Markham via TKO (punches) – Round 1, 2:47
- Ricardo Almeida def. Matt Brown via submission (rear naked choke) – Round 2, 3:30
- Rousimar Palhares def. Tomasz Drwal via submission (heel hook) – Round 1, 0:45
- Jared Hamman def. Rodney Wallace via unanimous decision (29-28, 29-28, 29-28)
- Matt Riddle def. Greg Soto via disqualification (illegal kick) – Round 3, 1:30
Pictured: Georges St-Pierre