UFC middleweight champ Anderson Silva claimed a disappointing unanimous decision over Demain Maia on Saturday in the main event of “UFC 112: Invincible” in Abu Dhabi, while Frankie Edgar upset lightweight champ BJ Penn in the UFC 112 co-headliner to claim the 155-pound title.
With an obvious striking advantage, Silva connected with ease early in the fight but refused to go for a finish and instead taunted Maia for the majority of the bout. Losing the standup battle, Maia unsurprisingly looked to get Silva to the ground, but “The Spider” refused and simply allowed Maia to return to his feet.
Following four lackluster rounds, Maia connected with his best offense of the fight in the fifth and final frame, landing several extended combinations, but after failing to take Silva down yet again, the bout settled into its previous pace and the fighters closed out the disappointing headliner, but not before Silva was warned for his lack of action.
In the co-main event, Edgar kept a high-pace through the final bell, using active footwork to avoid most of Penn’s counter-striking attempts while moving forward with frequent combos and picking up several key takedowns to earn a surprising unanimous decision to capture the 155-pound title.
In other main card action, former welterweight champ Matt Hughes outlasted veteran Renzo Gracie, staggering him with leg kicks before dropping him with punches late in the third, while Rafael dos Anjos forced Terry Etim to tap to an armbar in the second and Mark Munoz overcame a poor opening round to score a second-round TKO of Kendall Grove.
The complete UFC 112 results were:
- Anderson Silva (c) def. Demian Maia via unanimous decision (50-45, 50-45, 49-46)
UFC Middleweight Championship
- Frankie Edgar def. BJ Penn (c) via unanimous decision (50-45, 48-47, 49-46)
UFC Lightweight Championship
- Matt Hughes def. Renzo Gracie via TKO (strikes) – Round 3, 4:40
- Rafael dos Anjos def. Terry Etim via submission (armbar) – Round 2, 4:30
- Mark Munoz def. Kendall Grove via TKO (strikes) – Round 2, 2:50
- Phil Davis def. Alexander Gustafsson via submission (anaconda choke) – Round 1, 4:55
- Rick Story def. Nick Osipczak via split decision (29-28, 29-28, 29-28)
- DaMarques Johnson def. Brad Blackburn via TKO (strikes) – Round 3, 2:08
- Paul Kelly def. Matt Veach via submission (guillotine choke) – Round 2, 3:41
- Jon Madsen def. Mostapha Al Turk via unanimous decision (29-28, 28-29, 29-28)
Pictured: Frankie Edgar