Chances are Fabricio Werdum won’t be fighting Friday night at UFC 207, but the former heavyweight champ says he’s willing to battle anyone now that Cain Velasquez has withdrawn.
If you missed it this past weekend – if was Christmas after all – it was reported Saturday that Velasquez has been deemed “unfit” to rematch Werdum at the December 30th card. Velasquez recently disclosed that he’s planning to undergo back surgery just a couple of days into January, and the Nevada Commission ruled that he’s not in a condition to complete.
Well, since then, Werdum has told MMA Fighting the following:
“We’re waiting. I’m on standby. If the UFC calls me, I’ll fight. I’m ready to fight,” Werdum said. “If the UFC says they have an opponent, I’ll fight. I’ll fight anyone, like I always did. I always fought the best. My record shows that. If I were afraid of anyone, I wouldn’t be in this sport.”
Now if you follow Junior dos Santos on Twitter, he recently claimed that he was asked about stepping in on Friday to face Werdum. According to JDS, he accepted, but Werdum turned it down. Werdum, however, denies that’s the case.
The former champ was also asked to weigh-in on what went down with Velasquez. Werdum offered this response:
“That was weird, Cain saying ‘oh, I have an injury and will undergo surgery’ before the fight. I didn’t understand that. It was weird,” Werdum said. “But it happens. I don’t blame him. Sometimes you have an injury but can still fight. But it was nice from him to call me last night saying he’s sorry, that he thought he could fight but the commission didn’t allow him. He called me apologizing for the situation. I can’t criticize him now. It happens.”
It’s too bad that fight’s been scratched. It was one of the card’s big ones. UFC 207 will take place at the T-Mobile Arena in Las Vegas.
Werdum submitted Velasquez in their first battle last summer. The loss ended the latter’s run as champion.