Headliners Ben Askren, Ryan Thomas, and the rest of the Bellator 14 fight card hit the scale today at the Chicago Theater to weigh-in for tomorrow’s Fox Sports Net-televised event, which also takes place at the historic venue.
Askren, a former NCAA wrestling champion and 2008 U.S. Olympian, and Thomas both successfully weighed in at 170.5 pounds for their opening round bout in Bellator’s welterweight tournament.
“Ben is a great wrestler, but this isn’t a wrestling match,” Thomas said during the press conference portion of the event. “So we’re gonna find out if he’s a real fighter or if he should just stick to wrestling.”
Askren shot back confidently that “the last person who talked about my wrestling got put to sleep.”
The rest of the Bellator 14 main card also made weight without issue.
In a late lineup change, WEC veteran James Krause has replaced Ferris Kheder in a matchup against Toby Imada originally scheduled for next week’s Bellator 15 that will now take place on tomorrow’s card, while a featherweight matchup between Patricio “Pitbull” Freire and William Romero has been pushed back to April 22.
The official Bellator 14 weigh-in results were:
- Ben Askren (170.5) vs. Ryan Thomas (170.5) (welterweight tournament first round)
- Wilson Reis (145.5) vs. Shad Lierley (144.5) (featherweight tournament first round)
- Toby Imada (155.5) vs. James Krause (155.5) (lightweight tournament first round)
- Pat Curran (155.5) vs. Mike Ricci (155.5) (lightweight tournament first round)
- Jeff Curran (141) vs. Bryan Goldsby (141)
- Felice Herrig (117) vs. Jessica Rakoczy (121)
- Daniel Straus (154) vs. Jonatas Novaes (156)
- Louis Taylor (185.5) vs. Ryan Sturdy (188.5)*
* Sturdy has 90 minutes to make weight. Update will follow.
Pictured: Ben Askren (left) and Ryan Thomas