WEC featherweight champion Jose Aldo retained the 145-pound title on Saturday at “WEC 48: Aldo vs. Faber” in Sacramento, California, dominating former title-holder Urijah Faber with powerful leg kicks to earn a unanimous decision in the main event of World Extreme Cagefighting’s pay-per-view debut.
In a rematch of their 2009 brawl, lightweight champ Ben Hendersion again defeated Donald Cerrone, quickly submitting the 155-pound challenger with a guillotine choke less than two minutes into the WEC 48 co-headliner.
Also on the WEC 48 main card, Manny Gamburyan continued his climb up the featherweight rankings with a first-round knockout of former title-holder Mike Brown, Shane Roller scored a first-round submission on Anthony Njokuani, and Scott Jorgensen earned a unanimous decision over Antonio Banuelos to avenge his 2009 loss.
Leonard Garcia and newcomer Chan Sung Jung delivered a “Fight of the Year” front-runner on the WEC 48 prelims, as Garcia claimed a split decision victory following a three-round slugfest between the featherweights that aired on Spike TV and was later re-aired during the PPV.
Anthony Pettis, Brad Pickett, Chad Mendes, Takeya Mizugaki, and Tyler Toner also earned victories at WEC 48.
The official results for “WEC 48: Aldo vs. Faber” were:
MAIN CARD (PPV)
- Champ Jose Aldo def. Urijah Faber via unanimous decision (49-45, 49-45, 50-45)
WEC Featherweight Championship
- Champ Ben Henderson def. Donald Cerrone via submission (guillotine choke) – Round 1, 1:57
WEC Lightweight Championship
- Manny Gamburyan def. Mike Brown via KO (punches) – Round 1, 2:22
- Shane Roller def. Anthony Njokuani via submission (rear naked choke) – Round 1, 3:07
- Scott Jorgensen def. Antonio Banuelos via unanimous decision (29-28, 29-28, 29-28)
PRELIMINARY CARD (Spike)
- Leonard Garcia def. Chan Sung Jung via split decision (29-28, 28-29, 29-28)
- Anthony Pettis def. Alex Karalexis via submission (triangle choke) – Round 2, 1:35
PRELIMINARY CARD (unaired)
- Brad Pickett def. Demetrious Johnson via unanimous decision (30-27, 30-27, 29-28)
- Chad Mendes def. Anthony Morrison via submission (guillotine choke) – Round 1, 2:13
- Takeya Mizugaki def. Rani Yahya via unanimous decision (29-28, 30-27, 29-28)
- Tyler Toner def. Brandon Visher via TKO (strikes) – Round 1, 2:36
Pictured: Jose Aldo