Based off comments that Nate Diaz and Dana White have made this week, it doesn’t sound like we’ll be seeing the Stockton star fighting anytime soon.
On Wednesday, Diaz appeared on “The MMA Hour“, and while doing so, he reported he’s turned down a fight with Tony Ferguson. The outspoken fighter repeated what he’s been saying for sometime now, Diaz won’t fight unless he feels he’s being properly compensated. Further, Diaz angrily dismissed the argument he should fight Ferguson, as a means to lock up a third fight with Conor McGregor. In fact, Diaz even said he doesn’t want a rubber match with the Irish star.
Well, since then, Yahoo Sports caught up with the UFC President. White also confirmed that they’ve offered Diaz a chance to fight Ferguson for an interim, 155 title. But, as Diaz relayed earlier in the week, the parties clearly aren’t in sync regarding compensation.
“Whatever his deal is, he’s got a pretty good deal,” White said. “I mean, listen, at the end of the day, what is Diaz worth without Conor McGregor? I don’t know. The kid isn’t in a position for pay-per-view or any of that type of [stuff]. But this [a fight with Ferguson] could put him in a position. If he fought Tony Ferguson, it would be for the interim title.
“Obviously, if you held the interim title, you would get a piece of the pay-per-view. Diaz has to put himself in a position to make the pay-per-view money.”
Now, Diaz isn’t as big a draw as McGregor. But, is he one of the biggest names in the UFC? It certainly appears that way. Could Diaz – Ferguson headline a PPV and move a lot of buys? That’s hard to say. One would think it wouldn’t tank.