Court McGee won The Ultimate Fighter 11’s middleweight tournament on Saturday, as he scored a second-round submission of Kris McCray in the main event of The Ultimate Fighter 11 Finale at The Palms in Las Vegas.
After winning the opening round with takedowns and better striking, McGee put McCray in trouble early in the second after claiming mount. McCray would escape, but McGee quickly had him down, took his back, and eventually forced him to tap to a rear naked choke 3:41 into the second.
After the win, an emotional McGee, a former drug addict whose story of recovery was among the highlights of the season, dedicated the victory to those who continue to struggle.
McGee improves to 9-1 with his fourth-straight win, while McCray drops to 5-1 with his first career loss.
In the event’s co-headliner, Matt Hamill edged fellow Ultimate Fighter veteran Keith Jardine in a bloody light heavyweight battle.
Hamill got off to a slow start as he was picked apart by Jardine’s quick combinations throughout the opening round, but bounced back in the second to bloody Jardine with a flurry of combinations while an accidental eye poke in an exchange cost Jardine a point.
The third held more of the same, as Hamill edged Jardine on the feet and pressured for takedowns to earn a majority decision from the judges (29-27, 29-27, 28-28), handing Jardine his fourth-straight loss.
In other main card action, Chris Leben handed Aaron Simpson his first career loss with a second-round TKO, Dennis Siver earned a unanimous decision over Spencer Fisher in a standup battle, and Rich Attonito stopped fellow TUF 11 castmember Jamie Yager with punches in the second.
The Ultimate Fighter 11 Finale prelims saw wins for John Gunderson, Brad Tavares, Kyle Noke, Chris Camozzi, and Travis Browne.
The official results from The Ultimate Fighter 11 Finale were:
- Court McGee def. Kris McCray via submission (rear naked choke) – Round 2, 3:41
- Matt Hamill def. Keith Jardine via majority decision (29-27, 29-27, 28-28)
- Chris Leben def. Aaron Simpson via TKO (punches) – Round 2, 4:17
- Dennis Siver def. Spencer Fisher via unanimous decision (30-27, 29-28, 29-28)
- Rich Attonito def. Jamie Yager via TKO (strikes) – Round 2, 4:25
- John Gunderson def. Mark Holst via unanimous decision (30-27, 30-27, 30-27)
- Brad Tavares def. Seth Baczynski via unanimous decision (29-28, 29-28, 29-28)
- Kyle Noke def. Josh Bryant via TKO (strikes) – Round 2, 3:12
- Chris Camozzi def. James Hammortree via unanimous decision (29-28, 30-27, 30-27)
- Travis Browne def. James McSweeney via TKO (punches) – Round 1, 4:32
Pictured: Court McGee