After Dana White denied that the UFC officially offered Nate Diaz a bout with Tyron Woodley, the latter has fired back at the promotion’s president.
Recently Woodley relayed that he was willing to fight Diaz on December 30th at UFC 219, but that Diaz’s demands, in terms of payment, had squashed the proposed bout. Woodley also accused Diaz of ducking him.
But, while speaking with the media on Tuesday, White reportedly said that a UFC lawyer had asked Diaz if he’d be interested in fighting Diaz, but that it wasn’t an official offer. White also noted that there are other fighters ahead of Diaz in the welterweight rankings, and as a result, he claimed they weren’t in fact looking at Woodley – Diaz.
Well, since then, Woodley had this to say about White’s comments (quote via MMA Fighting):
“Delusional Dana constantly demotes me as a fighter when the job is to promote his fighters, especially champions,” Woodley said. “Why would I get in camp, and why would Nate give a 15 million dollar purse request if there was no fight? It’s obvious they haven’t found their blockbuster headliner yet. This was a reality, and they know it. The inability to come to financial terms with Nate killed it.”
This isn’t the first time Woodley’s had some choice words for the UFC and the promotion’s brass. The welterweight champ has reportedly decided to undergo surgery on his shoulder soon, and is expected to be sidelined for four months.