- Mark Bocek will face Doug Evans at UFC 79. Evans confirmed the bout to MMAFrenzy.com earlier today.
- The most-recent issue of Men’s Fitness features an extended cover with UFC Champion Matt Serra and challenger Matt Hughes as well as a “UFC Workout”.
- Luke Cummo has announced on MySpace that he will be an injury backup for UFC 79 and will fight in early-2008 if no one is injured:
I went to Las Vegas yesterday only for the day because there was a mandatory UFC meeting for all fighters. Basically they had different aspects of the corporation represented, including the Nevada State Athletic Comission, doctors, lawyers, production and public relations, etc.
Anyway I emailed the matchmaker to see if I could get on the Dec. 29th card when Matt Serra defends his belt. Unfortunately they have filled all the matches up so I’m on the waiting list in case someone gets injured. I’ll be taking over for Ray Longo a little while he’s out in Vegas with Matt. Then once my schedule changes I’ll start fight training and look to book something for early-ish 2008.
- Sean Sherk’s appeal has been scheduled to continue on December 4th.
- Middleweight Nate Marquardt will reportedly be returning to competition on February 2nd at UFC 81. A report earlier this week in the Houston Chronicle indicated Marquardt had not received word on his next fight because he has just one bout remaining on his current contract though he is now working with the UFC towards re-signing.
- The Ultimate Fighter 3 castmember Ross Pointon will face Marios Zaromskis at Cage Rage 24 in December. Drew Fickett will face Mark Weir at the event.
- Some reports suggest that Tim Sylvia will face Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira at UFC 81 in February for the UFC Heavyweight Championship.
- UFC vet Jonathan Goulet will face Dan Chambers in the main event of Ring Xtreme Challenge II. The event is November 24th in Victoriaville, Quebec.
- The UFC has announced that they will be holding an open casting call for The Ultimate Fighter 7 November 19th in New Jersey. Interested middleweight participants should show up at the Newark Airport Hilton Hotel at 8am and can sign up in advance at UFC.com.
- A new report at Sherdog connects Xyience with UFC owners Frank and Lorenzo Fertitta and also discusses recent reports of fighters turning down sponsorship by the company due to non-payment.
- Mike Swick will reportedly be returning in January 2008, presumably at UFC 80 in England.
- Forrest Griffin will be appearing on Law and Order: SVU on November 20th.
- In a recent interview Martin Kampann indicated that he hopes to return in early-2008.
- Suspensions for UFC 77 have been handed out. Rich Franklin, Kalib Starnes, and Eric Schafer all received 30-day suspensions while Forrest Petz received a 60-day suspension.
- This weekend UFC veteran and fan favorite Nick Diaz will face KJ Noons in the main event of EliteXC: “Renegade”. The event will air live on Showtime on Saturday.
- The WEC has officially announced four fights for it’s December 12th event including the return of former UFC champion Jens Pulver:
Featuring WEC Featherweight Champion “The California Kid” Urjiah Faber against Jeff “Big Frog” Curran, “The Rhino” Doug Marshall defending his Light Heavyweight title against Cuba’s own Ariel Gandulla, Paulo Filho returning to the Cage to defend his WEC Middleweight crown, and former UFC® Lightweight Champion Jens “Lil’ Evil” Pulver making his WEC debut at 145 lbs. against rising star Cub Swanson, the Hard Rock Hotel & Casino in Las Vegas will be rocked off its foundations by the most explosive MMA action of 2007.