The EliteXC Renegade card has been hyped for some time now, riding high on the Kimbo Slice advertising wave all the way up to Saturday nights big show. Unfortunately, the big show left a lot to be desired. This is largely due to the Kimbo Slice-Bo Cantrell match which lasted a grand total of 19 seconds. Sure its great to see Kimbo Slice (real name Kevin Ferguson) destroy opponents like we expect him to after seeing so many of his infamous youtube videos, but really a better opponent needs to be thrown in with Slice that can give fans their moneys worth. No doubt Slice is a great competitor, but the other man in the ring with him wasn’t exactly ready to press the action.
Another big name on the Renegade card was UFC veteran Nick Diaz, who ended up losing to K.J. Noons via TKO (doctor stoppage- multiple cuts) at 5:00 of the first round. With his upset victory K.J. Noons becomes the first ever EliteXC Lightweight Champion. Following the match it was reported that an angry Nick Diaz flipped off the fight doctor on his way out of the arena while shoving a camera out of his face. Ironically enough, Diaz allegedly stated in a pre-fight interview that the only way he would lose his fight would be if a cut were opened up above his eye…Maybe he had a crystal ball? The rest of the bouts on the card weren’t bad, they were just fast. In fact all but two matches went past the first round with only one going the distance. Antonio Silva, Yves Edwards and Jake Shields performed especially well in their fights with all three winning via rear naked choke in the first round.
In the end, you could say EliteXC Renegade definitely appealed to the easily bored mixed martial arts fan, but left those looking for some real MMA battles pretty flat. Hopefully the next EliteXC event will be a little more exciting, and perhaps when Kimbo Slice returns he will at least break a sweat for the fans in the cheap seats. Click continue for complete card results.
- Kimbo Slice defeats Bo Cantrell via TKO (Strikes) at 0:19 of Round 1
- K.J. Noons defeats Nick Diaz via TKO (Doctor Stoppage- Multiple Cuts) at 5:00 of Round 1 (K.J. Noons becomes the first EliteXC lightweight champion)
- Yves Edwards defeats Nick Gonzalez via Submission (Rear Naked Choke) at 3:05 of Round 1
- Jake Shields defeats Mike Pyle via Submission (Rear Naked Choke) at 3:39 of Round 1
- Antonio Silva defeats Jonathon Wiezoerek via Submission (Rear Naked Choke) at 3:12 of Round 1
- Jae Suk Lim defeats Daniel Pineda via Submission (Rear Naked Choke) at 2:42 of Round 1
- Brett Rogers defeats Ralph Kelly via Submission (Strikes) at 1:43 of Round 1
- Matt Lucas defeats Jon Kirk via Unanimous Decision at 5:00 of Round 3
- Kyle Noke defeats Seth Kleinbeck via TKO (Doctor Stoppage – Cut) at 4:22 of Round 2
- Geoff Bumstead defeats Robert Ruiz via Submission (Rear Naked Choke) at 1:30 of Round 1