For more than 14-minutes, the fight was closer to a sparring match than a battle between former champions as both fighters remained tentative before Mir ended Cro Cop’s night with a knee to the chin with 58-seconds left.
Mir rebounds back to the title hunt after improving to 14-5 with the win, while Cro Cop, now 27-8-2, had his two-fight win streak snapped in the loss.
In the UFC 119 co-main event, Ryan Bader scored a unanimous decision over Antonio Rogerio Nogueira to continue his climb up the light heavyweight rankings, with a showdown against Jon Jones likely next for the undefeated Ultimate Fighter 8 winner.
The rest of the UFC 119 main card also went to the judges’ scorecards, as Chris Lytle dominated Matt Serra, while Sean Sherk and Melvin Guillard earned controversial split decisions.
The official UFC 119 results were:
- Frank Mir def. Mirko “Cro Cop” Filipovic via KO (knee) – Round 3, 4:02
- Ryan Bader def. Antonio Rogerio Nogueira via unanimous decision (30-27, 30-27, 30-27)
- Chris Lytle def. Matt Serra via unanimous decision (30-27, 30-27, 30-27)
- Sean Sherk def. Evan Dunham via split decision (29-28, 28-29, 29-28)
- Melvin Guillard def. Jeremy Stephens via split decision (30-27, 28-29, 29-28)
- CB Dollaway def. Joe Doerksen via submission (guillotine) – Round 1, 2:47
- Matt Mitrione def. Joey Beltran via unanimous decision (29-28, 29-28, 29-28)
- Thiago Tavares def. Pat Audinwood via submission (guillotine) – Round 1, 3:47
- Waylon Lowe def. Steve Lopez via split decision (29-28, 28-29, 29-28)
- TJ Grant def. Julio Paulino via unanimous decision (30-27, 30-27, 30-27)
- Sean McCorkle def. Mark Hunt via submission (straight armbar) – Round 1, 1:03
Pictured: Frank Mir