Faber outpointed Mizugaki as they traded on their feet early, then took his back in the final minute before locking on a rear naked choke that put Mizugaki to sleep with 10-seconds left in the Versus-televised headliner.
Now 24-4, Faber is in line for a shot at the 135-pound title currently held by Dominick Cruz, while Mizugaki falls to 13-5-2.
In the WEC 52 co-headliner, Faber’s teammate Chad Mendes controlled fellow featherweight Javier Vazquez to remain unbeaten with a unanimous decision win, while Erik Koch, Joseph Benavidez, and Demetrious Johnson also earned wins on the night’s main card.
The complete WEC 52 results were:
- Urijah Faber def. Takeya Mizugaki via submission (rear naked choke) – Round 1, 4:50
- Chad Mendes def. Javier Vazquez via unanimous decision (30-27, 30-27, 30-27)
- Erik Koch def. Francisco Rivera via TKO (strikes) – Round 1, 1:36
- Joseph Benavidez def. Wagnney Fabiano via submission (guillotine choke) – Round 2, 2:45
- Demetrious Johnson def. Damacio Page via submission (guillotine choke) – Round 3, 2:27
- Raphael Assuncao def. L.C. Davis via unanimous decision (30-27, 30-27, 30-27)
- Anthony Njokuani def. Edward Faaloloto via TKO (strikes) – Round 2, 4:54
- Dustin Poirier def. Zack Micklewright via TKO (punches) – Round 1, 0:53
- Michael McDonald def. Clint Godfrey via submission (armbar) – Round 1, 2:42
- Cub Swanson def. Mackens Semerzier via split decision (29-28, 28-29, 29-28)
- Yves Jabouin def. Brandon Visher via unanimous decision (30-27, 30-27, 30-27)