Maynard nearly stopped Edgar in the opening round as he sent the champ scrambling with a barrage of punches, but the early outburst proved costly for Maynard as a recharged Edgar stormed back in the later rounds with crisp striking a takedown defense to earn the rare split draw with 48-46, 46-48, and 47-47 scores.
Though most expected the fight to go the distance, the surprising back-and-forth battle ended with no clear winner and an immediate rematch seems likely, as Edgar looks to avenge his lone loss to Maynard again before WEC champ Anthony Pettis challenges the winner.
Brian Stann derailed rising middleweight Chris Leben in the UFC 125 co-headliner, dropping “The Crippler” twice before finally putting the iron-chinned brawler away with ground and pound in the opening round.
In other UFC 125 action, Thiago Silva dominated Brandon Vera, Dong Hyun Kim edged Nate Diaz, and Clay Guida tapped Takanori Gomi with a second-round guillotine, while the prelims featured wins by Jeremy Stephens, Dustin Poirier, and Brad Tavares.
The complete UFC 125 results were:
- Champ Frankie Edgar vs. Gray Maynard – split draw (48-46 Maynard, 48-46 Edgar, 47-47)
UFC Lightweight Championship
- Brian Stann def. Chris Leben via TKO (punches) – Round 1, 3:37
- Thiago Silva def. Brandon Vera via unanimous decision (30-26, 30-27, 30-27)
- Dong Hyun Kim def. Nate Diaz via unanimous decision (29-28, 29-28, 29-28)
- Clay Guida def. Takanori Gomi via submission (guillotine) – Round 2, 4:27
- Jeremy Stephens def. Marcus Davis via knockout (punch) – Round 3, 2:43
- Dustin Poirier def. Josh Grispi via unanimous decision (30-27, 30-27, 30-27)
- Brad Tavares def. Phil Baroni via knockout (strikes) – Round 1, 4:20
- Diego Nunes def. Mike Brown via split decision (29-28, 28-29, 29-28)
- Daniel Roberts def. Greg Soto via submission (kimura) – Round 1, 3:45
- Jacob Volkmann def. Antonio McKee via split decision (28-29, 29-28, 29-28)
For complete UFC 125 coverage stay tuned to MMAFrenzy.com