Heavyweight contender Shane Carwin is slated to fight for the first time since undergoing back surgery when the UFC returns to Vancouver for UFC 131 on June 11, but the former interim champ doesn’t yet have an opponent after a proposed bout with Roy Nelson fell apart.
“Last week we got the call from [UFC matchmaker] Joe Silva asking if we would consider fighting Nelson at UFC 130,” Carwin wrote. “We accepted the match up and [Silva] said that it was 90% a go. The next day we were informed that they went a different direction for Nelson and that they want me to fight someone at UFC 131 in Vancouver. I have once again rapidly accepted the date.”
With his name rumored alongside Brock Lesnar for a possible interim title fight with top-contender Junior dos Santos, Carwin said he’s working to correct the issues that doomed his July title challenge against Lesnar while he awaits official word on his next fight.
“I am training hard and working on fixing the issues I ran into during the Lesnar fight. I will be ready and I hope that I am indeed fighting in June in B.C.. For now I am just a fighter training and waiting.”