Dan Henderson knocked out Strikeforce light heavyweight champ Rafael “Feijao” Cavalcante in the third-round to win the 205-pound title in the main event of Saturday’s “Strikeforce: Feijao vs. Henderson” event in Columbus, Ohio.
Feijao got off to a strong start with an early knockdown, but Henderson recovered with a pair of takedowns in the second before an overhand right dropped Feijao and several more punches on the ground ended the bout 50-seconds into the third.
Henderson improves to 27-8 after winning his latest belt, joining titles from the UFC and PRIDE, while Feijao falls to 10-3 with his three-fight win streak snapped.
In the co-main event, women’s welterweight champion Marloes Coenen outlasted Liz Carmouche for a fourth-round submission to retain her title, while Tim Kennedy and Jorge Masvidal also earned wins on the Showtime-televised main card.
The “Strikeforce: Feijao vs. Henderson” results were:
- Dan Henderson def. champ Rafael “Feijao” Cavalcante via KO (punches) – Round 3, 0:50
Strikeforce light heavyweight championship
- Champ Marloes Coenen def. Liz Carmouche via submission (triangle choke) – Round 4, 1:29
Strikeforce women’s welterweight championship
- Tim Kennedy def. Melvin Manhoef via submission (rear naked choke) – Round 1, 3:41
- Jorge Masvidal def. Billy Evangelista via unanimous decision (30-27, 30-27, 30-27)
- Roger Bowling def. Josh Thornburg via unanimous decision (30-27, 30-27, 30-27)
- Jorge Gurgel def. Billy Vaughn via submission (guillotine) – Round 1, 0:44
- Jason Freeman def. Jason Riley via submission (strikes) – Round 1, 1:52
Pictured: Dan Henderson