Junior dos Santos dominated Shane Carwin with punches to score a unanimous decision win in the main event of UFC 131 on Saturday night in Vancouver and earn the next shot at UFC heavyweight champion Cain Velasquez.
Dos Santos peppered Carwin with a jab throughout the bout, using the left to score a combination that dropped Carwin in the opening round and followed with ground and pound, but came up short of a stoppage. “Cigano” survived a hard punch from Carwin in the second and outpointed the former interim champ over the final two rounds to earn a clear decision with 30-27, 30-27, and 30-26 scores.
Dos Santos has now won seven-straight UFC bouts and improves to 13-1 before a likely October meeting with Velasquez, while Carwin suffered his second-straight loss to fall to 12-2, but showed improved cardio over his previous loss to then-champ Brock Lesnar.
In the UFC 131 co-main event, Kenny Florian successfully made his featherweight debut with a unanimous decision over Diego Nunes to possibly earn a shot at champion Jose Aldo.
Florian recovered from a slow start to score several takedowns and combinations over the final two rounds, as the former lightweight contender outlasted the WEC vet Nunes to score a unanimous decision from the judges.
Also on the UFC 131 pay-per-view, Mark Munoz edged fellow middleweight Demian Maia in a close unanimous decision, Dave Herman stopped fellow newcomer John Olav Einemo in a heavyweight slugfest, and Donald Cerrone kicked his way to a unanimous decision over Vagner Rocha.
The UFC 131 preliminary card featured victories by Sam Stout and Chris Weidman, as well as wins by Krzysztof Soszynski, Nick Ring, Dustin Poirier, Joey Beltran, and Darren Elkins.
The complete UFC 131 results were:
- Junior dos Santos def. Shane Carwin via unanimous decision (30-27, 30-27, 30-26)
- Kenny Florian def. Diego Nunes via unanimous decision (29-28, 29-28, 30-27)
- Mark Munoz def. Demian Maia via unanimous decision (29-28, 29-28, 30-27)
- Dave Herman def. John Olav Einemo via TKO (strikes) – Round 2, 3:19
- Donald Cerrone def. Vagner Rocha via unanimous decision (30-27, 30-27, 30-26)
- Sam Stout def. Yves Edwards via KO (punch) – Round 1, 3:52
- Chris Weidman def. Jesse Bongfeldt via submission (guillotine) – Round 1, 4:54
- Krzysztof Soszynski def. Mike Massenzio via unanimous decision (30-27, 30-26, 30-27)
- Nick Ring def. James Head via submission (rear naked choke) – Round 3, 3:33
- Dustin Poirier def. Jason Young via unanimous decision (30-27, 30-27, 29-28)
- Joey Beltran def. Aaron Rosa via TKO – Round 3, 1:26
- Darren Elkins def. Michihiro Omigawa viaunanimous decision (30-27, 29-28, 29-28)