Alistair Overeem earned a unanimous decision over Fabricio Werdum and Josh Barnett scored a second-round submission of Brett Rogers at “Strikeforce: Overeem vs. Werdum” on Saturday in Dallas, Texas to advance to the semifinals of Strikeforce’s Heavyweight Grand Prix.
In a lackluster main event that capped off the Showtime-televised card, Overeem avoided going to the ground with the BJJ black belt Werdum at all costs, but the Strikforce heavyweight champion did just enough on his feet and limited time on the canvas to earn 29-28, 30-27, and 30-27 scores from the judges for the win.
Meanwhile, Barnett dominated his quarterfinal matchup as he controlled Rogers with wrestling for nearly the entire opening round before scoring an arm-trianlge in the second that forced Rogers to tap 1:17 into the round.
Overeem, now unbeaten in 11-straight, moves on to face Antonio “Bigfoot” Silva in the semifinals, while Josh Barnett will meet Sergei Kharitonov when the heavyweight tournament is expected to continue in the fall.
In a featured lightweight matchup, Jorge Masvidal upset KJ Noons as he bloodied the former welterweight challenger en route to a unanimous decision to possibly secure the next shot at 155-pound champ Gilbert Melendez, if he doesn’t immediately jump to the UFC like teammate and former welterweight title-holder Nick Diaz.
Also on the card, heavyweight prospect Daniel Cormier remained unbeaten with a unanimous decision over veteran Jeff Monson, fellow heavyweight Chad Griggs scored a first-round stoppage of Valentijn Overeem, and the top prelim between Gesias “JZ” Cavalcante and Justin Wilcox ended in a no decision after an accidental eye poke by Cavalcante ended the bout early in the second.
The complete “Strikeforce: Overeem vs. Werdum” results were:
MAIN CARD (Showtime)
- Alistair Overeem def. Fabricio Werdum via unanimous decision (29-28, 30-27, 30-27) (heavyweight GP quarterfinal)
- Josh Barnett def. Brett Rogers via submission (arm triangle) – Round 2, 1:17 (heavyweight GP quarterfinal)
- Jorge Masvidal def. K.J. Noons via unanimous decision (30-27, 30-27, 30-27)
- Daniel Cormier def. Jeff Monson via unanimous decision (30-27, 30-27, 30-27)
- Chad Griggs def. Valentijn Overeem via TKO (strikes) – Round 1, 2:03
PRELIMINARY CARD (HDNet)
- Mike Bronzoulis vs. Todd Moore
- Gesias “JZ” Cavalcante vs. Justin Wilcox – no decision (unintentional eye poke by JZ at Round 2, 0:31)
- Conor Heun def. Mango Almeida via unanimous decision (29-28, 29-28, 29-28)
- Nah-Shon Burrell def. Joe Ray via unanimous decision (29-28, 29-28, 29-28)
- Isaac Vallie-Flagg def. Brian Melancon via unanimous decision (28-29, 29-28, 29-28)