What started as a fast paced war between Nick Lentz and Charles Oliveira ended in controversy. Lentz and Oliveira provided one of the most entertaining rounds in recent memory in the first round of their fight.
In the second round, Oliveira caught Lentz with a clearly illegal knee that rocked Lentz. Unfortunately for Lentz, the referee missed the knee and Oliveira swarmed and finished the previously undefeated in the UFC fighter. PSAC was quick to act and the result will be reviewed and likely overturned.
Also of note on the undercard, Tyson Griffin stopped his recent losing streak by defeating Manny Gamburyan in a very close fight. Gamburyan was visibly upset by the decision but each round was so close very little seperated the two fighters. With the win Griffin likely saved his UFC career.
UFC veteran Joe Stevenson was not so lucky however and likely faces a cut after a loss to Javier Vasquez. Stevenson struggled to mount any consistent offense in the fight and often ignored much of his corner’s advice. Stevenson has now lost four in a row .
The complete results for the UFC on Versus 4 prelims were:
- Tyson Griffin def. Manny Gamburyan via majority decision (29-28, 29-28, 29-29)
- Javier Vazquez def. Joe Stevenson via unanimous decision (30-27, 29-28, 30-27)
- Joe Lauzon def. Clint Warburton via submission (kimura) – Round 1, 1:58
- Rich Attonito def. Daniel Roberts via unanimous decision (29-27, 30-27, 29-28)
- Charles Oliveira def. Nik Lentz via submission (rear naked choke) – Round 2, 1:48
- Ricardo Lamas def. Matt Grice via TKO (strikes) – Round 1, 4:41
- Michael Johnson def. Edward Faaloloto via TKO (punches) – Round 1, 4:42
* Will be reviewed by Pennsylvania for illegal knee by Oliveira