Dan Henderson scored a first-round knockout of Fedor Emelianenko in Saturday’s Strikeforce main event outside Chicago, but the Strikeforce light heavyweight champion first had to survive a flurry from the fellow former PRIDE champ.
The pair came out swinging, then briefly settled into a battle in the clinch before letting their leather fly again. Henderson connected first with several looping punches, but Emelianenko answered with a barrage of his own.
Henderson would weather the storm and immediately turned the tide as he blasted Emelianenko in a scramble and Fedor hit the canvas face-first. “Hendo” followed with a pair of punches on the ground that appeared to land behind the head of “The Last Emperor,” but weren’t deemed illegal as referee Herb Dean halted the fight.
Henderson improves to 28-8 with three-straight wins following the TKO at 4:12 of the first, while Emelianenko falls to 31-4 with three-straight losses after a 10-year winning streak.
In the night’s co-main event, Miesha Tate submitted champion Marloes Coenen with an arm triangle after three lackluster rounds to win the Strikeforce women’s bantamweight title. The Showtime-televised main card also saw Tim Kennedy top Robbie Lawler, Tyron Woodley edge Paul Daley, and Tarec Saffiedine dominate Scott Smith.
The official Strikeforce: Fedor vs. Henderson results were:
- Dan Henderson def. Fedor Emelianenko via TKO (punches) – Round 1, 4:12
- Miesha Tate def. Marloes Coenen (c) via submission (arm triangle) – Round 4, 3:03
Strikeforce women’s bantamweight championship
- Tim Kennedy def. Robbie Lawler via unanimous decision (30-27, 30-27, 30-27)
- Tyron Woodley def. Paul Daley via unanimous decision (29-28, 29-28, 29-28)
- Tarec Saffiedine def. Scott Smith via unanimous decision (30-26, 30-27, 30-27)
- Gesias “JZ” Cavalcante def. Bobby Green via split decision (29-28, 28-29, 29-28)
- Tyler Stinson def. Eduardo Pamplona via KO (punch) – Round 1, 0:15
- Alexis Davis def. Julie Kedzie via unanimous decision (29-28, 30-27, 30-27)
- Derek Brunson def. Lumumba Sayers via submission (rear naked choke) – Round 1, 4:33
- Gabriel Salinas-Jones def. Bryan Humes via submission (D’Arce choke) – Round 3, 1:19