On Sunday night the UFC heads to Milwaukee for “UFC on Versus 5.” The card features a several fights guarenteed to generate fireworks in the octagon. The MMAFrenzy staff gives its analysis and opinions on who will leave the octagon victorious.
Sunday’s card kicks off on Facebook at 5:45 EST and will conclude with the main card aired live on Versus. Be sure to join the staff Sunday night shortly before the main card, where we will have live chat and discussion of the night’s fights.
Dan Hardy vs. Chris Lytle:
Justin R (FR702): People are expecting “Fight of the Night” honors in this bout and you might just get it. In the end, Chris Lytle will win either by submission (which is crazy hard to do to Hardy) or more likely a decision. Hardy’s best bet is to go for the KO which is essentially impossible to do to Lytle (both Lytle’s tko losses were cuts I believe) so the more well rounded fighter should win this bout that is Chris Lytle.
MMA Frenzy Picks: Hardy (2) vs. Lytle (2)
Jim Miller vs. Ben Henderson
Chris Leslie: Last Saturday, Rashad Evans claimed to be the “Rodney Dangerfield of MMA” and to be honest, I would consider it if not for Jim Miller. Miller has not lost since his 2009 bout with Gray Maynard. Despite the winstreak and ever evolving game, Miller has had to work harder than anyone to get a chance at avenging his only losses to Maynard and current lightweight champion Frankie Edgar. Miller’s game has evolved to the point where he has few holes to speak of.
In Henderson, Miller faces an opponent much like himself a few years ago. Henderson is well rounded but has holes in his striking game that come from the very aggression that made him the WEC lightweight champion. His wide and often long strikes open him up for counters. Henderson’s wrestling advantage will also be minimized in the fight as Miller also has a strong background in wrestling.
In some ways, this fight could end up looking like Miller’s fight with Kamal Shalorus. With Miller so close to the title shot he has long deserved, I expect Miller overcomes the nerves and defeats Henderson.
MMAFrenzy Picks: Miller (3) vs. Henderson (1)
Charles Oliveira vs. Donald Cerrone
(Bryan Robison) Arguably one of the most exciting 155 matchups Joe Silva can make, this one will feature all skills, both on and off the feet. Look for Oliveira to pull out just a little more on the way to a razor thin decision win.
MMAFrenzy Picks: Oliveira (2) vs. Cerrone (2)
Duane Ludwig vs. Amir Sadollah
(CL) I have heard a lot about this becoming a striking match but I am not totally sure that is what will happen here. The main reason being that Sadollah trains at Xtreme Couture and training at XC means game planning is a key. The number one part of any game plan is to take the fight where you have the best chance of winning. So fighting someone who has more bouts as a kickboxer than MMA fights does not make as much sense as using your SAMBO to control the fight. So while both are proficient in the Thai clinch, expect Sadollah to initiate the clinch in an effort to not only tie-up the striker but allow him to take the fight to the mat where he can unleash his elbows and submission game.
MMAFrenzy Picks: Ludwig (1) vs. Sadollah (3)
- CB Dollaway vs. Jared Hamman– (Steve Barnes) Dollaway needs a win to get into a groove, especially coming off of the brutal KO to Munoz in his last fight. This isn’t a fight for his career, but more a fight for his credibility. This fight could be rough for Hamman, who is fighting at middleweight for the first time. His power could be the difference here. MMAFrenzy picks: Dollaway (2) vs. Hamman (1)
- Joseph Bienividez vs. Eddie Wineland- (JR) Benavidez wins by being faster. Wineland is tough but I believe he gets decisioned in this fight. MMAFrenzy picks: Bienividez (2) vs. Wineland (1)
- Ed Herman vs. Kyle Noke- (BR) Herman looked strong in his return after a nearly 2 year departure away from the UFC. Noke meanwhile, hasn’t lost in over 3 years. Tough one to call, but I’ll take Noke by a thin margin. MMAFrenzy picks: Herman (1) vs. Noke (2)
- Karlos Vemola vs. Ronny Markes- (CL) Vemola may be a little rusty but should be able to spoil Markes debut with his strong wrestling, aggressiveness, and power shots. MMAFrenzy picks: Vemola (3) vs. Markes (0)
- Alex Caceres vs. Jim Hettes- (JR) Bruce Leroy is going to get decisioned here and cut to regroup and work back to the UFC. MMAFrenzy picks: Caceres (0) vs. Hettes (3)
- Cole Miller vs. T.J. O’Brien- (BR) Miller’s honeymoon from TUF 5 is certainly over. He’s always had a strong ground game, but has lacked striking and wrestling. Look for Miller to return to his winning ways here. MMAFrenzy picks: Miller (2) vs. O’Brien (1)
- Jacob Volkmann vs. Danny Castillo- (BR) Volkmann entertains more with his mouth than he does in the octagon. Castillo will bring the fight to him,and will take this one in a close decision. MMAFrenzy picks: Volkmann (2) vs. Castillo (1)
- Edwin Figueroa vs. Jason Reinhardt- (JR) Reinhardt by experience most likely by decision
For complete coverage of “UFC on Versus 5” stay tuned to MMAFrenzy.