ProElite made its return to MMA world Saturday night at the Blaisdale Center in Honolulu, Hawaii. While the two headlining fighters, Andrei Arlovski and Kendall Grove, both ended their recent losing streaks, it was a women’s MMA bout between US Olympic wrestling medalist Sarah McMann and local fighter Raquel Pa’aluhi that stole the show. The card streamed live on Sherdog.com immediately after UFC 134.
While Pa’aluhi was unable to stop the takedowns of the wrestler she never made it easy for McMann by showing good stand-up skills and constantly attacking off her back. Eventually, McMann was finally able to finish the talented young fighter with with a keylock to seal up a victory.
Also of note a pair of successful MMA debuts happened on the card with Reagan Penn and former NCAA Champion Mark Ellis picking up victories. Penn picked up a quick submission victory when his opponent made the mistake of taking him down. Penn quickly reversed position and applied a fight ending guillotine choke. AKA prospect Mark Ellis did not have it as easy however, as the former NCAA champion’s inexperience showed up through out the fight against an energetic opponent. Despite picking up the win, Ellis was very unhappy with the win.
The notable ProElite 1 results were:
- Kendall Grove def. Joe Riggs via submission (guillotine choke) – Round 1, 0:59
- Andrei Arlovski def. Ray Lopez via TKO (punches) – Round 3, 2:43
- Reagan Penn def. Paul Gardiner via submission (rear-naked choke) – Round 1, 1:10
- Mark Ellis def. Jake Heun via submission (rear-naked choke) – Round 2, 2:29
- Sarah McMann def. Raquel Pa’aluhi via submission (armlock) – Round 3, 2:53
- Drew McFedries def. Garrett Olson via TKO (punches) – Round 2, 4:04