Ellenberger dropped Shields with a knee to the head from the clinch and quickly finished the recent title challenger and former Strikeforce champion with a number of unanswered punches on the ground.
Ellenberger (25-5) moves closer to a shot at the welterweight title currently held by Georges St-Pierre after earning his fifth-straight UFC win in impressive fashion after dropping his Octagon debut to upcoming challenger Carlos Condit, while Shields (26-6-1) has now lost back-to-back fights to fall to 1-2 in the UFC.
In other action on the Spike-televised main card, The Ultimate Fighter 11 winner Court McGee remained unbeaten in the UFC with a unanimous decision over Dongi Yang, Erik Koch earned a unanimous decision to spoil TUF 12 winner Jonathan Brookins‘ return to featherweight, and Alan Belcher ended his 16-month layoff with a first-round TKO of Jason MacDonald.
The UFC Fight Night 25 preliminary card featured wins by Vagner Rocha, Evan Dunham, Lance Benoist, Ken Stone, Seth Baczynski, TJ Waldburger, Robert Peralta, and Justin Edwards.
The complete UFC Fight Night 25 results included:
MAIN CARD (Spike TV)
- Jake Ellenberger def. Jake Shields via TKO (knee and punches) – Round 1, 0:53
- Court McGee def. Dongi Yang via unanimous decision (30-27, 29-28, 30-28)
- Erik Koch def. Jonathan Brookins via unanimous decision (30-27, 29-28, 30-27)
- Alan Belcher def. Jason MacDonald via verbal submission (punches) – Round 1, 3:48
PRELIMINARY CARD (Facebook)
- Vagner Rocha def. Cody McKenzie via submission (rear naked choke) – Round 2, 3:49
- Evan Dunham def. Shamar Bailey via unanimous decision (30-27, 30-27, 30-27)
- Lance Benoist def. Matt Riddle via unanimous decision (29-28, 29-28, 29-28)
- Ken Stone def. Donny Walker via technical submission (rear naked choke) – Round 1, 2:40
- Seth Baczynski def. Clay Harvison via submission (rear naked choke) – Round 2, 1:12
- TJ Waldburger def. Mike Stumpf via submission (triangle choke) – Round 1, 3:52
- Robert Peralta def. Mike Lullo via unanimous decision (30-27, 30-27, 29-28)
- Justin Edwards def. Jorge Lopez via unanimous decision (29-28, 29-28, 29-28)
Pictured: Jake Elenberger