Nick Diaz successfully returned to the Octagon with a unanimous decision over BJ Penn in Saturday’s UFC 137 main event in Las Vegas, battering the former welterweight and lightweight champion with his patented striking over the later rounds to earn 29-27, 29-28, and 29-28 scores from the judges.
Penn avoided Diaz’ boxing early in the fight and connected with punches of his own to take the first round, but Diaz found his rhythm in the second and had Penn bloodied and dazed by the end of the frame.
Diaz carried the attack into the third round and battered Penn further to earn the unanimous nod from the judges.
The former Strikeforce champion Diaz improved to 26-7 , improving his win streak to 11-straight in his first UFC fight since 2006, while Penn falls to 16-8-2 and is just 1-3-1 in his last five fights.
Following his win, Diaz said UFC welterweight champion Georges St-Pierre was scared to fight him and that GSP isn’t injured despite recently withdrawing from the scheduled UFC 137 main event with Carlos Condit. Cameras showed St-Pierre smiling Octagon-side and feigning to be scared.
It was then Penn’s turn to discuss his loss and “The Prodigy” surprisingly announced his retirement, saying his focus is now on his family, but only time will tell if the abrupt decision stays true.
Here’s more UFC 137 coverage:
- UFC 137 Play-by-Play
- UFC 137 Results: Kongo Outpoints Mitrione, Cro Cop Retires with Loss to Nelson
- UFC 137 Results: Jorgensen Beats Curran, Hioki Edges Roop on Main Card
- UFC 137 Results: Cerrone Submits Siver, Palaszewski KOs Griffin on Spike Prelims
- UFC 137 Results: Vera, Nijem Wins Top Facebook Prelims
The official UFC 137 results were:
MAIN CARD (PPV)
- Nick Diaz def. BJ Penn via unanimous decision (29-28, 29-27, 29-28)
- Cheick Kongo def. Matt Mitrione via unanimous decision (30-27, 30-28, 29-28)
- Roy Nelson def. Mirko Cro Cop via TKO (punches) – Round 3, 1:30
- Scott Jorgensen def. Jeff Curran via unanimous decision (29-28, 29-28, 30-27)
- Hatsu Hioki def. George Roop via split decision (29-28, 28-29, 29-28)
PRELIMINARY CARD (Spike TV)
- Donald Cerrone def. Dennis Siver via submission (rear naked choke) – Round 1, 2:22
- Bart Palaszewski def. Tyson Griffin via KO (punches) – Round 1, 2:45
PRELIMINARY CARD (Facebook)
- Brandon Vera def. Eliot Marshall via unanimous decision (29-28, 29-28, 29-28)
- Ramsey Nijem def. Danny Downes via unanimous decision (30-25, 30-26, 30-27)
- Francis Carmont def. Chris Camozzi via unanimous decision (30-26, 30-27, 30-27)
- Clifford Starks def. Dustin Jacoby via unanimous decision (30-27,30-27,30-27)