The matchup was among three announced on Monday to complete the UFC 144 fight card along with bantamweights Norifumi “Kid” Yamamoto vs. Vaughn Lee and featherweights Tiequan Zhang vs. Leonard Garcia.
Gomi (32-8), a former champion in Japan’s PRIDE organization, is just 1-3 since joining the UFC last year and followed a knockout win over Tyson Griffin with back-to-back losses to Clay Guida and Nate Diaz. Sotiropoulos (14-4) had his hopes of a title shot following six-straight wins dashed with a February loss to Dennis Siver, then was knocked out in just 59-seconds by Rafael dos Anjos in July.
UFC 144 is headlined by UFC lightweight champion Frankie Edgar vs. Ben Henderson and also features Quinton “Rampage” Jackson returning to Japan against fellow light heavyweight Ryan Bader.
The complete UFC 144 fight card features:
- Frankie Edgar (c) vs. Ben Henderson
UFC Lightweight Championship
- Quitnon “Rampage” Jackson vs. Ryan Bader
- Cheick Kongo vs. Mark Hunt
- Jake Shields vs. Yoshihiro Akiyama
- Joe Lauzon vs. Anthony Pettis
- Yushin Okami vs. Tim Boetsch
- Takanori Gomi vs. George Sotiropoulos
- Hatsu Hioki vs. Bart Palaszewski
- Takeya Mizugaki vs. Chris Cariaso
- Riki Fukuda vs. Steve Cantwell
- Norifumi “Kid” Yamamoto vs. Vaughn Lee
- Tiequan Zhang vs. Leonard Garcia
For complete coverage of UFC 144 stay tuned to MMAFrenzy.com.