Guillard got off to a strong start as he dropped Miller with knees early in the opening round, but Miller persevered and found his way onto Guillard’s back, where he locked in a rear naked choke for the submission finish.
Miller improves to 21-3 with the win and is back on track following his August loss to fellow contender Ben Henderson, while Guillard has now dropped two straight to fall to 29-10-2 after a five-fight win streak.
A similar scenario played out in the co-main event between welterweights Duane “Bang” Ludwig and Josh Neer, as Ludwig took control early with his striking, but was quickly choked unconscious with a guillotine by Neer.
In other main card action, bantamweight Mike Easton outpointed newcomer Jared Papazian in an entertaining slugfest that a majority of the judges saw for Easton, while Pat Barry escaped several near-submissions to knock Christian Morecraft out cold in the opening round.
The UFC on FX 1 prelims saw Jorge Rivera retire with a TKO win over Eric Schafer, while Khabib Nurmagomedov, Charlie Brenneman, Fabricio Camoes, Daniel Pineda, and Nick Denis also picked up wins.
The complete UFC on FX 1 results were:
- Jim Miller def. Melvin Guillard via submission (rear naked choke) – Round 1, 2:04
- Josh Neer def. Duane “Bang” Ludwig via technical submission (guillotine) – Round 1, 3:04
- Mike Easton def. Jared Papazian via majority decision (30-27, 29-28, 29-29)
- Pat Barry def. Christian Morecraft via KO (punches) – Round 1, 3:38
- Jorge Rivera def. Eric Schafer via TKO (punches) – Round 2, 1:31
- Khabib Nurmagomedov def. Kamal Shalorus via submission (rear naked choke) – Round 3, 2:08
- Charlie Brenneman def. Daniel Roberts via unanimous decision (30-27, 30-27, 29-28)
- Fabricio Camoes def. Tommy Hayden via submission (rear naked choke) – Round 1, 4:03
- Daniel Pineda def. Pat Schilling via submission (rear naked choke) – Round 1, 1:37
- Nick Denis def. Joseph Sandoval via KO (elbows) – Round 1, 0:22