While much has been going on in the world of MMA this past week or so, we at MMAFrenzy.com would surely be remiss if we neglected to report some of the MMA news that has slipped through the cracks.
Here are some things you may have missed:
- Though superfluous in nature, it has been announced that Fedor Emelianenko and Tim Syliva will be fighting for the WAMMA heavyweight title at their July 19th showdown.
- EliteXC announced during their broadcast on Saturday that Scott Smith will rematch Robbie Lawler on CBS on July 26th.
- After causing quite a stir with an alleged “mind blowing” announcement, Dana White has scaled back on his words and claims that he never even planned on making such an announcement to the media.
- Four additional bouts have been added to the UFC 87 card. The newly confirmed bouts are Cheick Kongo vs. Dan Evensen, Frankie Edgar vs. Hermes Franca, Chris Wilson vs. Steve Bruno, Ben Saunders vs. Jared Rollins.
- Former UFC lightweight champion Sean Sherk believes he will get another title shot after only one or two more fights.
- IFL CEO Jay Larkin made waves after openly insulting the UFC and the sport of MMA in general, while his promotion hangs in the balance.
- It has been rumored that UFC welterweight Matt Hughes is involved in the development of a new reality television program.
- In a recent interview, Guy Mezger detailed how PRIDE officials attempted to “alter” his fights while competing in the Japanese promotion.
- UFC lightweight Nate Diaz has been tapped to face Josh Neer at UFC Fight Night 15 on September 17th.
- Tito Ortiz recently discussed a move to heavyweight and hypothetical opponent Kimbo Slice, in a brief interview with Maxim.
- After a controversial split decision win over Nate Marquardt at UFC 85, Thales Leites has stated that he does not feel Marquardt deserves a rematch any time soon.
- Spike.com will be the new home of Evan Tanner’s personal blog.
- Former UFC light heavyweight champion Chuck “The Iceman” Liddell has reportedly gotten engaged.Â Liddell has also begun more heavily promoting his vested web-brand, MMAjacked.com.