Bellator’s lightweight division headlined the Bellator 62 fight card in Laredo, Texas. The lightweights did not disappoint with some intense action. The event aired on MTV2 and EPIX HD. Tonight marked the first time event that Bellator aired the entire card live on Spike.com.
In the bout’s main event, Lloyd Woodard pulled off a stunning upset by defeating Patricky Freire. Woodard came out with relentless aggression in both rounds and took some brutal shots from Freire in the process. In the second round, Woodard took a nasty shot from Freire but caught the Brazilian with a knee. Freire went for an armbar but in the ensuing scramble found himself caught in north/south position. Woodard attacked with a kimura and the Brazilian was forced to tap as his elbow popped.
In other action, US olympic judoka Rick Hawn made his lightweight debut in explosive fashion. Opponent Ricardo Tirloni came in the cage intent on knocking out the judoka with his Muay Thai and he had some early success. That success was short lived however, as Hawn threw a nasty right hand that leveled the Brazilian fighter. Tirloni tried to recover but Hawn finished him with hammerfists. After the fight, Tirloni tried to protest the stoppage but that point as moot considering that he almost knocked the referee with an upkick in the fog of his knockout.
In the second fight of the night, Brent Weedman made a successful lightweight debut by choking out J.J. Ambrose with an impressive Von Flue choke after Ambrose tried a guillotine.
In the opening fight of the night, Rene Nazare seemed gun-shy for two rounds after the first loss of career in previous fight. When Nazare finally got something going it was too little too late for the Brazilian fighter. His opponent, Thiago Michel, utilized strong striking to give Nazare fits. With the win, Michel advances to the semifinals.
MAIN CARD RESULTS (MTV2 and EPIX HD)
- Lightweight quarterfinal – Lloyd Woodard def. Patricky “Pitbull” Freire via submission (kimura) – Round 2, 1:46 – lightweight-tourney opening round
- Lightweight quarterfinal – Rick Hawn def. Ricardo Tirloni via TKO (punches) – Round 1, 2:36
- Lightweight quarterfinal – Brent Weedman def. J.J. Ambrose via submission (Von Flue choke) – Round 2, 3:26
- Lightweight quarterfinal – Thiago Michel def. Rene Nazare via split decision (29-28, 28-29, 29-28)
PRELIMINARY CARD RESULTS (Spike.com)
- Joseph Daily vs. Sean Spencer
- Luis Vega def. Sonny Luque via submission (arm-triangle choke) – Round 1, 3:43
- Chris Jones def. Steven Peterson via split decision (27-30, 29-28, 29-28)
- Dave Jansen def. Jacob Kirwan via unanimous decision (30-27, 29-28, 29-28)
- Rad Martinez def. Douglas Frey via TKO (punches) – Round 1, 4:08