As the sport of mixed martial arts has grown wildly in popularity over the past few years, Roach has opened the doors of his renowned Wild Card gym in Las Vegas to MMA fighters and has attracted some of the sport’s best over time.
Having worked with the likes of Georges St-Pierre, Anderson Silva and BJ Penn since extending his instruction to mixed martial artists, Roach has become very familiar with the sport and its practitioners. He’s often been quoted assessing the boxing skills of various fighters, but actually ranked MMA’s best pugilists for a recent appearance on HDNet’s Inside MMA.
- Anderson Silva – “He is one of the best guys that really understands distance and timing.”
- Georges St-Pierre – “GSP, one of the best guys in the world … one of the best students I’ve ever had.”
- BJ Penn – “You know, BJ is one of the best strikers I’ve ever been in the ring with.”
- Nick Diaz – “Nick Diaz is one of the most exciting fighters in the world today.”
- KJ Noons – “KJ works out at my gym and his work ethic is great; I love his tenacity.”