Bellator 65 took place tonight in Atlantic City, NJ. The event was headlined by a bantamweight title fight between champion Zach Makovsky and Eduardo Dantas. The card also featured the second featherweight semifinal and the opening round of the bantamweight title.
In the main event, Dantas put on an impressive display of all-around skill by handily defeating Zach Makovsky. Also on the card, Daniel Straus, Marcos Galvao, and Luis Nogueira all advanced in their respective tournaments.
Bellator CEO Bjorn Rebney has said he believes Dantas is one of the best bantamweight fighters in the world and Dantas did nothing to dissuade anyone from that position as he dominated Makovsky wherever the fight went. The only thing Makovsky had going early were his takedowns but it was those very takedowns that would lead to his defeat in the second.
In the second, Makovsky was still unable to find an answer for Dantas striking and shot for a takedown. Dantas countered it beautifully with what is becoming a signature switch off his opponents’ takedown attempts. After Dantas took Makovsky’s back it was all but over as Dantas controlled his position and landed strikes from solid positions. Eventually, Dantas gained an arm-triangle off a beautiful transition. While Makovsky executed the right defense for the choke, Dantas simply overpowered him until he went unconscious.
- Bantamweight Championship: Eduardo Dantas def. Zach Makovsky via submission (arm-triangle choke) at 3:26 of Round 2
- Featherweight semifinal: Daniel Straus def. Mike Corey via unanimous decision (30-27, 29-28, 29-28)
- Bantamweight Quarterfinal: Luis Nogueira def. Alexis Vila via unanimous decision (29-28, 29-28, 29-28)
- Bantamweight Quarterfinal: Marcos Galvao def. Ed West via unanimous decision (30-27, 30-27, 30-27)
- Duane Bastress def. Plinio Cruz via TKO (strikes) – Round 2, 2:52
- Will Martinez def. Terrell Hobbs via submission (rear-naked choke) – Round 1, 4:13
- Scott Heckman def. Lester Caslow via submission (rear-naked choke) – Round 1, 3:40
- Welterweight qualifier: Kris McCray def. Ailton Barbosa via split decision (29-28, 28-29, 29-28)
- Welterweight qualifier: Lyman Good def. LeVon Maynard via KO (punch) – Round 1, 0:13
- E.J. Brooks def. Mikhail Malyutin via unanimous decision (30-27, 30-27, 30-26)