Bellator 67 took place tonight live from the Casino Rama in Rama, Ontario. The Bellator card featured a non-title fight pitting lightweight champion Michael Chandler against Akihiro Gono. The card also featured the first welterweight semifinal as cancer survivor Bryan Baker faced off against for UFC fighter Ben Saunders.
In the main event, Michael Chandler made quick work of Akihiro Gono by dropping the Japanese fighter with his quick hands and pouncing quickly to force a stoppage from the official. Chandler was determined to not be judged as a fluke after defeating Eddie Alvarez and he was very focused on putting Gono away. The win ran Chandler’s win-streak to 10 games (7-0 Bellator) and leaves the champion waiting on the winner of this season’s tournament for a possible summer bout.
In the co-main event, Ben Saunders and Bryan Baker engaged in a hard fought battle for three rounds that saw Baker victorious. The fight looked like it would actually end early as Saunders secured a deep triangle choke on Baker but somehow Baker managed to escape. Baker showed no fear of the UFC-veteran’s striking as he swung hard powershots on their feet before securing takedowns and using effective ground striking to win rounds. While Baker was able to get the takedowns, the fight never stalled on the ground as Saunders was constantly attacking from his back while Baker pounded away and looked to advance. With the win, Baker becomes the first welterweight finalist.
In other action, Damian Grabowski ground out a decision against Dave Huckba and Ryan Ford landed a stunning comeback victory with a vicious knee that dropped opponent Luis Santos.
Main Card (MTV2)
- Non-Title Fight: Michael Chandler (c) def. Akihiro Gono via TKO (strikes) at :56 of Round 1
- Welterweight Semifinal: Bryan Baker def. Ben Saunders via unanimous decision (29-28,30-27,30-27)
- Damian Grabowski def. Dave Huckaba via unanimous decision (29-28,29-28,29-28)
- Ryan Ford def. Luis Santos via TKO (knee) at 1:24 of Round 2
Preliminary Card (Spike.com)
- Will Romero vs. Matt Veal*
- David Harris vs. Nick Kirk *
- Cosmo Alexander vs. Lorawnt-T Nelson *
- Dominic O’Grady def. Nathan Gunn via submission (armbar) at 4:51 of round 2
- Nordine Taleb def. Matt MacGrath via second-round TKO at 2:30 of round 2
- Cosmo Alexander def. Lorawnt Nelson via unanimous decision
*- aired after the main card