UFC on FX 3 took place tonight live from Sunrise, Florida at the BankAtlantic Center. In the main event, Demetrious Johnson edged Ian McCall in their rematch. In the co-main event, Erick Silva stayed on his feet long enough to eventually put away Charlie Brenneman via submission.
In other main card action, Mike Pyle and Eddie Wineland both scored solid knockouts over Josh Neer and Scott Jorgenesen, respectively.
“Mighty Mouse” Edges “Uncle Creepy” to Advance to Flyweight Finals
It was a fast-paced rematch between the two flyweight contenders that lived up to the excitement of their first bout. The difference in this bout was the adjustments of Demetrious Johnson, as he was able to pick up the unanimous decision. Johnson utilized his speed to his advantage over his wrestling in this one.
While in the first fight Johnson found himself being out-wrestled for the first time ever, he used a speed and boxing attack more often in this fight to keep McCall from settling in. McCall had his moments as he recovered from a clear loss in the first round to come back much stronger in the second as Johnson slowed down.
Johnson would recover in the all important third round as he returned to his speedy in and out attack to take the fight on the score cards.
Silva Chokes Out Brenneman
Charlie Brenneman had only one thing in mind and that was to put Silva on the mat and keep him there. Brenneman landed 2 out of 6 takedowns in the round but Silva prevented him from doing anything with them. The sixth takedown proved fatal for Brenneman however, as Silva stuffed it and then leveraged both hooks in. Silva then arched out and extended Brenneman to finish a rear-naked choke.
Pyle Floors Neer
After a back and forth first round, Mike Pyle connected on a short right hook that instantly separated Neer from consciousness. Pyle connected so well he did not even have to follow Neer to the mat as he instantly started celebrating. Pyle is now 5-1 in the UFC with the lone loss coming to Rory MacDonald.
Wineland Out-Guns Jorgensen in a Fire Fight
Both Scott Jorgensen and Eddie Wineland came to throw down in their fight and neither disappointed. Jorgensen struggled with the speed and range of Wineland’s in the first, even being dropped by a jab, but in the second he answered the bell in a big way as he took the fight to Wineland.
While Wineland was put on his heels to start the second, he quickly roared back. Wineland’s strikes started finding their range again before he connected a right cross that knocked Jorgensen out. After two straight tough losses in his first two fights in the UFC (Urijah Faber and Joe Benividez) Wineland finally has his first win.
MAIN CARD (FX)
- Flyweight Tournament Semifinal: Demetrious Johnson def. Ian McCall via unanimous decision (29-28,30-27,29-28)
- Erick Silva def. Charlie Brenneman via submission (rear-naked choke) at 4:33 of Round 1
- Mike Pyle def. Josh Neer via KO (punch) at 4:56 of Round 1
- Eddie Wineland def. Scott Jorgensen via KO (punch) at 4:10 of Round 2
PRELIMINARY CARD (FUEL TV)
- Mike Pierce def. Carlos Eduardo Rocha via split decision (30-27,30-27,27-30)
- Seth Baczynski def. Lance Benoist via split decision (30-27,29-28,28-29)
- Matt Grice def. Leonard Garcia via unanimous decision (30-27,30-27,30-27)
- Dustin Pague def. Jared Papazian via submission (rear-naked choke) at 3:21 of Round 1
- Tim Means def. Justin Salas via TKO (knees and punches) at 1:06 of Round 1
- Buddy Roberts def. Caio Magalhaes via unanimous decision (30-27,30-27,29-28)
- Henry Martinez def. Bernardo Magalhaes via unanimous decision (30-27,29-28,29-28)
- Sean Pierson def. Jake Hecht via unanimous decision (29-28,29-28,29-28)