Lost in the shuffle of UFC 153’s high profile injuries was more unfortunate news as Vladimir Matyushenko has apparently suffered a torn Achilles tendon and is out of his September 22 bout with Matt Hamill. Replacing “the Janitor” will be Matt Hamill’s original opponent, Roger Hollet. UFC officials announced the matchup Tuesday afternoon.
The injury to Matyushenko is particularly unfortunate, as it is possibly a career-ender for the decorated 41-year-old fighter. Replacing him will be MFC and Bellator veteran Roger Hollet.
Hollet was originally tabbed to face Hamill before an undisclosed issue knocked him off the card. While it was originally reported to be an injury, Fcfighter.com reports that it was a contract dispute with Bellator that originally forced Hollet out of the bout. Hollet tells the site that Bellator recently refused to match the UFC’s offer, thus making him available after Matyushenko’s injury. Hollet will be welcomed to the promotion by Matt Hamill.
UFC 152′s revamped lineup is set for its September 22 date. The lineup will be headlined by a pair of title fights as UFC light heavyweight champion Jon Jones will take on Vitor Belfort and the inaugural flyweight crown will be on the line as Demetrious Johnson takes on Joe Benavidez. The bill will take place live from the Air Canada Centre.
Updated Fight Card:
Main Card (PPV 10PM EST)
- Light Heavyweight Title Fight: Jon Jones (c) vs. Vitor Belfort
- Inaugural Flyweight Title Fight: Joseph Benavidez vs. Demetrious Johnson
- Michael Bisping vs. Brian Stann
- Matt Hamill vs. Roger Hollet
- Charles Oliveira vs. Cub Swanson
Preliminary Card (FX 8PM EST)
- Igor Pokrajac vs. Vinny Magalhaes
- Evan Dunham vs. T.J. Grant
- Sean Pierson vs. Lance Benoist
- Marcus Brimage vs. Jim Hettes
Preliminary Card (Facebook 6:30PM EST)
- Seth Baczynski vs. Simeon Thoresen
- Mitch Gagnon vs. Walel Watson
- Charlie Brenneman vs. Kyle Noke