Both UFC light heavyweight champion Jon Jones and challenger Chael Sonnen have completed their coaching lineups for The Ultimate Fighter 17. The two biggest names on the list are former UFC heavyweight champion Frank Mir for Team Jones and former Strikeforce light heavyweight Dan Henderson for Team Sonnen.
The Team Jones lineup is a bit surprising as the list will not include the big names from the champion’s Team Jackson-Winklejohn fight camp. Both Greg Jackson and Mike Winkeljohn will likely make appearances but both coaches elected to help Jones pick a more Vegas-based coaching group. Frank Mir will be the team’s BJJ coach.
Team Sonnen will feature some of his Team Quest coaches, along with UFC light heavyweights Dan Henderson and Vinny Magalhaes, and former fighter turned diet expert Mike Dolce. The Henderson announcement was a bit of a surprise after Sonnen indicated at a possible rift between the former teammates on a MetroPCS fan chat earlier this week.
The show is currently filming and will debut on FX in January. Jones will then defend his UFC title against Sonnen on April 27, 2013.
- Frank Mir – former UFC heavyweight champion and elite BJJ practitioner
- Stonehorse Gorman – Jones’ original Muay Thai instructor
- John Woods – Well-rounded martial artist and Jackson’s recommendation
- Bubba Jenkins – NCAA champion wrestler and current RFA fighter
- Dan Henderson – MMA legend, US Olympic wrestler
- Clayton Hires – striking coach
- Scott McQuary – Head Coach at Team Quest Tualatin
- Jamie Huey – striking coach
- Mike Dolce – former MMA fighter and diet specialist
- Vinny Magalhaes – 2011 ADCC champion, 2007 No GI BJJ world champion, TUF 8 finalist (ironically on Team Mir)